Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo butt ????

So I am planning on a turbo butt cook tomorrow. I have the 10lb butt rubbed with with hot sauce, mustard and butt rub and put in the fridge for overnight. I plan on starting about 9:00am with a dome temp of 350 indirect and run the butt till IT reaches 160 or I am happy with the bark and then foil and put back on the egg. My question first should I raise the grid even tho I am going indirect and should I leave the temp at 350 after I wrap in foil? image

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Totally depends on what would be the easiest setup for you. I don't think I've cooked anything without a raised grid since I got the adjustable rig from ceramic grill store but that's just me.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I just have a grid raised with 4 bolts so nuttin fancy. I was thinking higher is better but this is my first turbo so I was questioning myself

analyze adapt overcome

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    No need to raise. Leave temp at 350 after foiling.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• @shtgunal3 probably said it better with alot less words.  If you have a good setup without raising the grid you will be just fine.  Enjoy the cook!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited February 2013
    If using the foiling stage qualifies as Turbo Butt, then I guess what I did was like a Nitrous Butt; fast but not super-fast. So for my Nitrous Butt, I went 350*-375* indirect, no foil. Took about 45 min. per pound. Good bark!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Mattman3969
    @500 After some searching late last night I found the thread where you described your NITRO cook and I am goin to do it. It is kinda funny because I was wondering if it could be done that way and wala, it has. Thanks for the help

analyze adapt overcome

edited February 2013
    I think someone may have done it before me, but I'll take credit for the naming of the technique (with your help). Yea it worked for me. Nitro Butt. Like the sound of that. < Edit; I think it took closer to an hour per pound to get to 195*. YMMV.>
    Member since 2009
  • Mattman3969
    3 1/2 hrs in and the but is at 142 and the egg hangin out around 350. image

analyze adapt overcome

• The indirect un-wrapped first part of the cook should be at a low temperature to try to maximize smoke absorption into the butt, once you wrap in foil(i use three layers) at 160 internal degrees cook it at the slowest rate that you can expect to reach 200 just prior to your serving time - minus the one hour rest period.  I usually bump it up to 300 or 330 and watch it for a while to determine the approximate finish time.  There will be no "stall" so you can check the time it takes to raise one degree and multiply that by the number of degrees to reach "finish" and that will be very close.  If you get pressed for time -- raise it up to 375.  The overall lower temperature will give you more moisture in your end result...
  • Mattman3969
    I had to take a peekimage

analyze adapt overcome

• Lookin good !!  What is the internal temperature??    You should protect both your probe cables with a few layers of foil that portion that will be inside the egg.  It's a pain when they go bad in the middle of a cook...
  • Mattman3969
    IT is bout 168. I am goin on a limb and just try to push thru with no foil. Thanks for the heads up on the probe leads I do have them over my PS legs but will add foil in a min

analyze adapt overcome

• You started by saying you were doing a turbo butt ?  But then used a high starting temperature? So you are actually cooking this butt as a roast, but over cooking it??  It will not be as tender as a "low and slow" and not as moist as a "turbo butt".  And you need to contend with the "stall" now....
  • Mattman3969
    I was actually thinking "turbo" and then I read 500's post about cooking at 350 with no foil and that is what I am trying. It may turn out to be junk IDK but you never know until you try I will report in once I pull it ( I hope it pulls) :-?

analyze adapt overcome

• Hard to screw up a butt  --  i would see how it pulls before taking off the grill-- you might have to go to 210 or even 215 for it to pull throughout the butt.  The top edges might be pullable and the rest may be tough???  It'll be good either way, you might end up with some for pulling and some for slicing??
    Mattman; come back with the follow up. How was the Nitro Butt?
    Member since 2009