Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Mapp Torch longevity

I if ally broke down and bought a Benzomatic mapp torch at Lowe's this afternoon. It took a few mites to get a few spots lit, and I started wondering: using ,y Large Egg 4-5 nights a week, how long should 1 can of mapp gas last?
Athens, GA

Comments

• Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,841
    Quite awhile, My crew them all day every day when we were cad welding in Lightning Protection Systems for the FAA a couple years ago. 

4-5 nights a week i'm guessing just a couple bottles a year if that, unless you have a adjustable valve, which you don't need, we replaced one with that and it ran out in weeks when normally a bottle would last a month while working. 

I only use it when I take my small places so I can't vouch for just lighting the egg. I have a Looftlighter that stays at home with the large. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • MayberryMayberry Posts: 426
    Do you like the looftlighter better than the mapp? I considered that, too. I'm not sure how they compare lighting lump.
    Athens, GA
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,841
    i have a propane torch that I've had forever, so it doesn't burn quite as hot as the mapp but basically is the same thing. I like the looftlighter because I never need to worry about buying fuel, I have a electric box in my pergola so I don't need to run an extension cord. It lights the first one a little slower than propane but the next spot or two light very quick once it gets hot. I purchased it with my large and had never lit my egg any other way until I bought my small and went camping. Both methods work and use roughly the same amount of time. The mapp is probably a little less than half the price but as long as it works I won't need to replace it anytime soon. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,192
    I light 3 spots, each for about 15 seconds. I guesstimate I can light about 100 times w. MAP Pro. Propane is slower, but it costs a lot less. I don't use it as much, but I suspect it is cheaper, if less convenient.
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,357
    i use  weed burner with a small camping propane bottle lighting my eggs almost everyday it lasts about 2/3 months 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • I returned a looftlighter and bought the Mapp torch. I am extremely happy I did!. The looftlighter works ok, but the Mapp torch lights faster for me. I HATED having to gather an extension cord, unfurl, light fire, re wrap cord (usually not to the liking of my DH). Mapp is just more convenient and quicker for me. I have used it at least 20 times and still on the 1st bottle. I have the unit with the long tube.
    I tried the oil and paper towel, the fire starter blocks, and alcohol. The paper towel/oil was too smokey for me. The alcohol works fairly well, just found myself needing to add more/start over due to fire not enough to light lump to my liking. The fire starter blocks work great, but I think Mapp is more economical in the long run. It's also easier to customize how my lump gets lit...Just my 3 cents!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • I get well over a year out of a bottle

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• tjvtjv Posts: 3,239
    just remember to wear eye protection and an old shirt.....can cause sparks to fly.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    ACGP, Inc.
  • Good point Tom. I use maple leaf lump that virtually has no sparks. Fidel got one in the eye a few years back.

Steve 

Caledon, ON