Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

V-Day Dinner with PICS

Options

Planned to cook on my salt block but it was cracked so I ditched the idea last minute. Cooked a rack of lamb, grilled polenta disks with crushed tomatoes, parmesan, and basil on top, and then finished it with white asparagus on the egg. Dessert was chocolate covered strawberries I made, but didn't get pics of those in time.

Started off 600 degrees for a 3 minute sear fat side down. Pulled and coated in dijon mustard and dipped in chopped rosemary, basil, bread crumbs, garlic, S&P. Lowered egg to 400 and finished raised direct with the sides.

Good dinner. Thanks for looking.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• dgv
    dgv Posts: 41
    Options
    looks amazing!
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Awesome!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Very nice! I haven't had much luck with lamb on the egg although I blame the lamb I bought :-)
    Lynnwood WA
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Looks great as always Chubbs!!!!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Good call on the white asparagus. The sweetness would go well with the lamb. I'll need to try this.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Your lamb looks terrific. I made a rack of lamb (first time on the egg) too, but yours looks better!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    double said:
    Very nice! I haven't had much luck with lamb on the egg although I blame the lamb I bought :-)
    Lamb is a little tougher to cook for sure. It is so awkward on the grill and needs to be cooked on all sides. I think the biggest thing is to get a good sear on the fatty side first. It was good though.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Chubbs you are the man, that looks great, sorry about your salt block
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Good call on the white asparagus. The sweetness would go well with the lamb. I'll need to try this.
    Yeah, the white asparagus was a nice compliment to the meat. I tell you what, the polenta is a versatile side. Skeptical when my butcher told me to buy it in the tube. So easy though. Just slice into disks, coat in oil, and throw on grill. I think I am going to experiment with other easy quick items with it. Perhaps add a drop of tomato sauce, some cheese and a peppersoni. Mini pizza bites...
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Looks great! I wish anyone around here liked lamb, maybe I'll just cook it for myself sometime. I've got a tube of polenta that needs to be made, to the egg it goes! 

Thanks for the good ideas. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Solson005 said:
    Looks great! I wish anyone around here liked lamb, maybe I'll just cook it for myself sometime. I've got a tube of polenta that needs to be made, to the egg it goes! 

Thanks for the good ideas. 

Solson, give the polenta a shot. I would suggest trying to sear on your CI swing grate. The texture is perfect for a quick grilling. Anything like a slow roast, it could fall apart. Good luck!
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Thanks I'll give it a try 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Lamb looks great. Polenta isn't tough to make, but it would be more time consuming than the tube. I've never tried those. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Love the idea of rubbing after the sear!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    That looks like it tasted great!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Chubbs said:

Yeah, the white asparagus was a nice compliment to the meat. I tell you what, the polenta is a versatile side. Skeptical when my butcher told me to buy it in the tube. So easy though. Just slice into disks, coat in oil, and throw on grill. I think I am going to experiment with other easy quick items with it. Perhaps add a drop of tomato sauce, some cheese and a peppersoni. Mini pizza bites...

We eat the polenta in a tube all the time. Either a dab of tomatoe sauce and some mozzarella, fresh tomatoes and herbs. Quick easy and not too bad for you.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options

Looks like you hit a homerun, Chubbs!  I've never tried polenta before.  I have to find it and give it a go.  I also like the idea of crusting the lamb with breadcrumbs.  I bet that was good!