Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

"My wifey had a little lamb, a little lamb..."

For Valentine's Day I made SWMBO lamb chops since she loves them (and I love her!)

Marinated a rack of lamb with cumin, pepper, kosher salt, garlic, coriander, paprika, and EVOO. Let it all get friendly overnight in the fridge.

Fired up the egg with Stubbs lump. First cook with this lump and I really liked it. Plus it is half the price of WGWW.

First threw on some asparagus doused with a sesame/teriaki glaze. Used a rather unused fish grilling gizmo for this and it worked perfectly.

Next threw the rack of lamb on. Went a minute or so too long on the sear - I would have liked less char on the crust. Finished it raised direct, then onto a hot cast iron plate when IT was 125ish.

Homemade tzatziki sauce (Alton Brown's recipe):

Wife made roasted butternut squah, sweet potatoes, and brussels sprouts. And yet another feeble attempt at a plated shot:

Dessert was made up on the fly (details in a separate thread - it was that good!). Chocolate pecan bourbon chocolate chip cakelets dressed with Kahlua:

It was a wonderful meal, and SWMBO said (again) that she was glad she married me :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,869
    That looks so good! I need to find someone around here to eat lamb with me.... Nobody in my little group would even want to try it. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • That chocolate desert is killing me! Geez ... and I try and watch my glucose levels ... ;) Very nicely done!
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 5,434
    Solson005 said:
    That looks so good! I need to find someone around here to eat lamb with me.... Nobody in my little group would even want to try it. 
    That's a pity. What about goat? Young goat has a milder flavor than lamb (I think) - maybe it could be the gateway?

That chocolate desert is killing me! Geez ... and I try and watch my glucose levels ... ;) Very nicely done!
    Thanks. It was a pretty small portion. I just checked and each cakelet was a shade over 1 carb exchange (about 20g).

• Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,869
    edited February 2013
    I'm lucky if I can get them to eat shrimp, this Oklahoma crowd isn't very adventurous. Me on the other hand, I like to try everything. Maybe I just need new friends. :-? Fat Tuesday conversation "oh... You made homemade Jambalaya..." I guess I shoulda bought some zatarains and spent more on beer..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Where do you get your stubbs lump?
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,625
    @caliking I'm digging that maple pecan porter you got there. Good stuff.

LBGE,SBGE Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• I really want to try that Maple Pecan Porter but around here it only comes in a sampler 12 pack, and I really don't want to buy 12 beers just to try one.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,625
    Only way you get it here too. They were all pretty good except for one kind. Can't remember the name. But I drank them too.

LBGE,SBGE Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Oh I don't doubt that I'd drink them all, just hoping that the package sticks around for around another month when I get my tax return and I can justify buying beer I'm not sure I'll like. Bought the wife a car for Christmas and sure as $%&! two weeks later my furnace needed replacing.  Could have been put off if it was just me and the wife but with a 6 month old I wasn't going to risk it. So money is a little tight, lots of cheap domestic beer for me right now.
    :((
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Where do you get your stubbs lump?

$17 + tax for 34 lbs at Costco. I think smaller bags are available at Lowes. About half the price of WGWW... works for me.

Solson005 said:

I'm lucky if I can get them to eat shrimp, this Oklahoma crowd isn't very adventurous. Me on the other hand, I like to try everything. Maybe I just need new friends. :-? Fat Tuesday conversation "oh... You made homemade Jambalaya..." I guess I shoulda bought some zatarains and spent more on beer..

Some of the folks I end up hanging out with necessitate buying and drinking more beer. I get you though... when I lived in Iowa, pepper was considered an exotic spice.

shtgunal3 said:

@caliking I'm digging that maple pecan porter you got there. Good stuff.

It's really pretty good. Sam Adams has really improved its offerings exponentially in the last few years. I have almost stopped buying imports... Except for a recent Belgian bender.

@scottborasjr: the sampler was all decent, but the maple pecan porter was different. I think you may like the others in the pack too.