Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

V-Day Dinner with PICS

Planned to cook on my salt block but it was cracked so I ditched the idea last minute. Cooked a rack of lamb, grilled polenta disks with crushed tomatoes, parmesan, and basil on top, and then finished it with white asparagus on the egg. Dessert was chocolate covered strawberries I made, but didn't get pics of those in time.

Started off 600 degrees for a 3 minute sear fat side down. Pulled and coated in dijon mustard and dipped in chopped rosemary, basil, bread crumbs, garlic, S&P. Lowered egg to 400 and finished raised direct with the sides.

Good dinner. Thanks for looking.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
·

Comments

• dgvdgv Posts: 32
    looks amazing!
    ·
  • Awesome!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Very nice! I haven't had much luck with lamb on the egg although I blame the lamb I bought :-)
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • Looks great as always Chubbs!!!!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,403
    Good call on the white asparagus. The sweetness would go well with the lamb. I'll need to try this.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,060
    Your lamb looks terrific. I made a rack of lamb (first time on the egg) too, but yours looks better!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,444
    double said:
    Very nice! I haven't had much luck with lamb on the egg although I blame the lamb I bought :-)
    Lamb is a little tougher to cook for sure. It is so awkward on the grill and needs to be cooked on all sides. I think the biggest thing is to get a good sear on the fatty side first. It was good though.
    ·
  • Chubbs you are the man, that looks great, sorry about your salt block
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
    Good call on the white asparagus. The sweetness would go well with the lamb. I'll need to try this.
    Yeah, the white asparagus was a nice compliment to the meat. I tell you what, the polenta is a versatile side. Skeptical when my butcher told me to buy it in the tube. So easy though. Just slice into disks, coat in oil, and throw on grill. I think I am going to experiment with other easy quick items with it. Perhaps add a drop of tomato sauce, some cheese and a peppersoni. Mini pizza bites...
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Looks great! I wish anyone around here liked lamb, maybe I'll just cook it for myself sometime. I've got a tube of polenta that needs to be made, to the egg it goes! 

Thanks for the good ideas. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
    Solson005 said:
    Looks great! I wish anyone around here liked lamb, maybe I'll just cook it for myself sometime. I've got a tube of polenta that needs to be made, to the egg it goes! 

Thanks for the good ideas. 

Solson, give the polenta a shot. I would suggest trying to sear on your CI swing grate. The texture is perfect for a quick grilling. Anything like a slow roast, it could fall apart. Good luck!
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Thanks I'll give it a try 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 851
    Lamb looks great. Polenta isn't tough to make, but it would be more time consuming than the tube. I've never tried those. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • Love the idea of rubbing after the sear!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at http://familycookbookproject.com
    Stoker II wifi
    ·
  • That looks like it tasted great!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    Chubbs said:

Yeah, the white asparagus was a nice compliment to the meat. I tell you what, the polenta is a versatile side. Skeptical when my butcher told me to buy it in the tube. So easy though. Just slice into disks, coat in oil, and throw on grill. I think I am going to experiment with other easy quick items with it. Perhaps add a drop of tomato sauce, some cheese and a peppersoni. Mini pizza bites...

We eat the polenta in a tube all the time. Either a dab of tomatoe sauce and some mozzarella, fresh tomatoes and herbs. Quick easy and not too bad for you.
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,580

Looks like you hit a homerun, Chubbs!  I've never tried polenta before.  I have to find it and give it a go.  I also like the idea of crusting the lamb with breadcrumbs.  I bet that was good! 

·