Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first smoked brisket

Options
Hello everyone, this is my first try at cooking my own brisket. It didn't come out too great in my opinion, but my friends seemed to like it. If you put enough barbeque sauce and onions on it did make a good sandwich. I thought it tasted a little greasy and bland but was quite tender so I am very optimistic about the future.

I guess after over 13yrs since moving to Austin, TX it was long overdue. Should be a rite of passage in my mind.

"are you a real Texan?"
"yeah, sure, I'm from Texas."
"so...how do you cook your brisket?"
"umm, I don't know, I've never cooked a brisket before."
"well then I guess you're not a real Texan after all."

I never heard of a Green Egg before either, but some guy I was BS'ing with one night at a hotel bar in San Antonio said it was the one to get if I wanted to be "The Neighborhood BBQ King." That random conversation covering all things BBQ went on for maybe a couple hours before we parted ways, He was a pro and seemed to really know his stuff so a few weeks later I bit the bullet and bought one like he said and now here I am.

I only got to cook on it 3 times before I was sent overseas, but in that short period of time I grew unusually fond of it.

Keep the stories coming, I guess for now I have to do all my barbeques through y'alls eyes before I can get back about this business of becoming "The Neighborhood BBQ King."

...and about all the acronyms...y'all should consider posting a glossary for those.

Gittin' there...

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks pretty good noob. Tender and moist is the hard part. I would say well done.
  • BU_BBQ
    BU_BBQ Posts: 15
    Options
    Looks good. What rub did you use and how long did you cook it?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Damn, look at that gasket. You oughta come to the Salado eggfest in March...I'll teach you everything I know. After that 15 second conversation we'll find Mickey or Nola or Cen Tex to school us.

Research Travis style brisket and Dave in Florida's recipe...welcome.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Are you ready kids?  "Aye Aye Captain"

I Can't hear you!  "AYE AYE CAPTAIN"
    Ohh... 
    Who lives in a pineapple under the sea 
    "Spongebob Brisket noob"
    Dimpled and green and porous is he 
    "Spongebob Brisket noob"
    If egging nonsense be something you wish 
    "Spongebob Brisket noob"
    Then drop the meat on the grid and drink like a fish 
    "Spongebob Brisket noob"

READY

Spongebob Brisket noob
    Spongebob Brisket noob
    Spongebob Brisket noob

SPONGEBOB BRISKET NOOB!!!! AH AHH AHH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHH...

Welcome to the forum......

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'm gonna try my hand at a brisket this weekend.  Gonna keep it simple.  Rub and slow and low.  No foiling, injections or anything else. Want a good starting point for comparison sakes down the road.

Wish me luck so I don't ruin this expensive hunk of meat.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement.

From my mistake I learned that for one, I need to trim the fat quite a bit. Seems if you apply rub to a thick layer of fat it just melts off into the pan. I'm gonna try and do it like this guy does when I get home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abwzGVBeQtc

The place I'm staying now is about the size of a pineapple. Hopefully an Eggfest next fall.
    Gittin' there...
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

From my mistake I learned that for one, I need to trim the fat quite a bit. Seems if you apply rub to a thick layer of fat it just melts off into the pan. I'm gonna try and do it like this guy does when I get home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abwzGVBeQtc

The place I'm staying now is about the size of a pineapple. Hopefully an Eggfest next fall.

Hahaha size of a pineapple and your avatar got me there.