Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tumor in a chicken????

I have no idea what I just found, but it looks pretty awful and I'm afraid to eat the meat. I just spatchcock a chicken and when drying the bird off, I found a lump under the skin. I started to ignore it, but got curious, so cut a small slit in the skin. There was a dense, hard black mass surrounded by very yellow, dry fat and it looked like some sort of tumor. It pulled free easily, but honestly grossed me out, and I'm not very weak stomached. Anyone else ever found something like this?
Athens, GA
·

Comments

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 889
    Sounds like flavor.  Surprised they didn't charge you extra
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,419
    Curious. Any pics? It's probably ok. Tumors are not toxic by themselves. Cancer kills because it is basically dysregulated growth, not because it necessarily forms something chemically toxic. May be worth letting the store know so they can figure things out with the company the chicken came from. You could probably get a refund or Exchange for another chicken too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • MayberryMayberry Posts: 455
    Here it is...disgusting. I threw it away and I'm waiting on a pizza/ drinking a beer now.
    Athens, GA
    ·
  • I forget what these are called, but it has come up before, and they are not a health threat.  You just cut them out.  One the other hand.....chicken is cheap and the ick factor it high.  I got one one time, and it was kind of green.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,164
    Throw some bacon on that sumabitch and down the hatch!
    ·
  • And a chaser of Bourbon just to be safe
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,407
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 1,934
    Yeah, I remember someone else posting something like this a while back.  They had picks of the tumor still in the chicken, it was green I think.  Pretty damn disgusting.  Personally, as cheap as chicken is, I would trash it, cut your losses and move on.  I couldn't get that out of my head if I were to try and cook and eat it.  That's just me though.
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio

·
  • Gross. I think I would have second thoughts bout eating the chicken too.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,286
    Yikes!"!!!!
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    I just threw up a little in my mouth!!!
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    @rholt I threw up a hell of a lot in my mouth.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,471
    If you eat it, you'll grow chicken feet and develop testicular cancer!!!  You did the right thing. ;)

·
  • MayberryMayberry Posts: 455
    Yeah, threw it away and picked up a pizza from a new pizza joint in town. That sucked, too. God was just telling me to lose some weight yesterday, I believe.
    Athens, GA
    ·
  • Health threat or not, toss it! YUCK!
    ·
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 889
    If you would've eaten the tumor, you could be in bed puking all day today - weight loss goal achieved
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,209
    You went out to eat?

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!
    ·
  • Prolly no health concerns but why chance it. When ya buy tenders and breast or parts other than whole you have no idea what the rest of the chicken looked like. Technically should be now way of the tumor cells infesting you, but getting a stomach bug and puking all night is highly likely.

I've skinned a dear or two that was ate up with cancer. Just stopped and threw it out.

Sweet pic tho!!!

Just curious, but what y'all think this is???

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Not just a random googled pic. It's mine

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • Mayberry said:
    I have no idea what I just found, but it looks pretty awful and I'm afraid to eat the meat.

If I had a dollar.....
    ·
  • Looks like you used to much K/Y
    ·
    edited February 2013
    Prolly no health concerns but why chance it. When ya buy tenders and breast or parts other than whole you have no idea what the rest of the chicken looked like. Technically should be now way of the tumor cells infesting you, but getting a stomach bug and puking all night is highly likely. I've skinned a dear or two that was ate up with cancer. Just stopped and threw it out. Sweet pic tho!!! Just curious, but what y'all think this is??? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Not just a random googled pic. It's mine
    That looks like intestines with a tumor/abscess formation. The sinus seems to have necrotic and exudative areas.I would need a clearer picture to be sure, though. I do see what appear to be Kelly clamps and that looks like surgical drape. Maybe even a burst appendix?
    ·
  • @eggcelsior
    Boom! Perf'd bowl. The yellow ring is the "blow out"
    =D>

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
    So much win!

(Not for the patient)
    ·
  • @Mayberry - Oregon Disease, TJ referred you to the discussion, I probably posted this to it.

It is actually quite common, thank you food industry for "Franken-Birds". 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I'd toss that sh&# Rather have a peanut butter jelly samich
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,205
    A few more beers and I'll comment...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·