Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig, Woo, or something else?

I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with. I have a large Egg and I bought a spider and wok from CGS a few months back. I'm really happy with both, and I almost just pulled the trigger and bought an adjustable rig today, but I think that may be overkill for what I need. I have a platesetter already, so the adj. rig kind of turns me off. I really only want the ability to do two things: 1) cook raised direct at, or above, the felt line, and 2) the ability to cook on multiple levels at once. For example, if I have multiple boston butts and some ribs, I'd like to be able to cook on multiple layers and fit it all on two different grids on my large, one on top of the other. Will any one product satisfy both of these needs?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    I bought the 2 Tier XL today. It puts the top above the felt line, accommodates two levels, and the top can be rotated while cooking to move away from hot spots... And it's less than $70

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    2 tier xl?
    Athens, GA
  • I have owned an XL for several years. I cook on my egg about 4 days a week and I have only had a Platesetter for adj cooking for most of that time. I recently got an adj rig and I cant believe I went so long without it. 

If you have an egg and are serious about using it, the adj rig is the only way to go. The platesetter is not even in the same ballpark. 

You can get by without the adj rig but when you finally get one (and you will), you will not be happy with yourself for settling for secondsies.  

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    2 Tier XL is on the BGE site

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Mayberry
    That's right...I wish they offered those for the large, but they're just for the xl. The adjustable rig might be the only way to go. I'm just trying to avoid spending $150 if something else will meet my needs.
    Athens, GA
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    @Mayberry...could this help you??

Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Mayberry
    How much space is there between the lower and top rack? I really like that unit, and it seems very useful. Could I definitely fit 8lb Boston butts under the top rack?
    Athens, GA
  • CGW1
    Go out to ceramicgrillworks.com and check it out. The top is adjustable up and down or can be removed completely and it'll work with the plate setter.
  • Consider Craigslist.  You can get most of your money back on the PS if you choose AR and don't think you'll use it.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    Yes you can, I have the CGW Swing Rack as well and love it. 

4 Chuck Roasts On The Swing Grate is a post that joe@bge posted that can answer your question. 

I haven't done multiple butts but do two tier cooks all the time both with my platesetter 
    or direct,
    Burger and Fries
    or raised direct with firebricks

It swings out of the way very easy to flip wings or whatever your need to get to on the bottom rack, which is one of the features that made me buy it. 

and it makes great sear marks for steaks.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Get the AR and cook.....You will be happy
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Why be happy when you can be in heaven? Get the ceramic grill works 2 tier worth every penny. Awesome sear marks, ease of access to the first rack and built to last for a limited lifetime.
  • DougQ
    DougQ Posts: 30
    I've got both the AR (oval racks) and a placesetter - use them both all the time. Got Grillgrates too, same thing. I'm of the opinion to just get everything you can afford just to support these small vendors, if you can. All these guys help make this hobby fun - for me its not either/or, its the more, the merrier.
  • Solson005
    I agree with @DougQ I get the "Eggcessory" that works best for me for any given job. I like the simplicity of the swing rack that moves very easy to get to the bottom tier to flip and move things around so I chose that for my multilevel piece and think its the best option. 

I also have a woo for my small egg and have yet to do a cook without it. I use the spider for the wok on my large all the time and love it.

I have even used the top tier grate from my swing rack on my spider to sear some steaks for a CGW/CGS combo. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    AHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I wish I had these kind of problems. If only these things were available for the MBGE.......
  • CGW1
    @Eggcelsior....medium and small 2 tiers are soon on the way
  • CGW1 said:
    @Eggcelsior....medium and small 2 tiers are soon on the way

Hurry!  My small is craving it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • CGW1
    @fred19flintsone...soon real soon.
  • I'll take a med swing rack. ASAP.

I like the adj rig for my xl but the med is screaming swing rack.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mayberry
    This swing rack is intriguing. I like it! I like the adjustable rig, too...and I don't want both for the same Egg. I'm going to have to look into this a little more this weekend. If I can't find out exactly how far apart you can get the lower and upper grids from each other, and how far above the felt line I can get the upper grid, that will help me make my decision for sure.
    Athens, GA
  • Looking for the right thing for my medium as well. Hoping to see what CGW has up their sleeve quick because once tax return hits daddy gets new toys!!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Solson005
    I can get you some measurements and pictures in the daylight tomorrow if you want. My solar lights are not the best for pictures.
  • Mayberry
    Solson005 said:
    I can get you some measurements and pictures in the daylight tomorrow if you want. My solar lights are not the best for pictures.

That would be great, if you have time. I want to be able to get a few inches above the felt line direct, if possible. Whole chickens and wings are just better raised direct, and I want a consistent, easy way to accomplish this.
    Athens, GA
  • Solson005
    Sure I'll show you my setups and the measurements, I think i'm doing ribs on the lower rack and a small turkey breast on the top so I'll be out there anyway. 
  • Mayberry
    Awesome....thanks!
    Athens, GA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited February 2013
    Mayberry, to do butts on the bottom and ribs on top is a very straight forward cook with the adjustable rig.  It's one of the easier cooks with the adjustable rig and you won't have to cut the racks of ribs in half because the top grid is to small to hold the "man-size" racks.   

For grilling in the dome, the adjustable rig positions the bge stock grid at the dome's sweet spot.  It's as easy as setting the full size 18" grid on the adjustable rig, no hand tools required.  It's much easier to manage temperature and fire when the grid is elevated. For me, the kabob cook below would be a challenge to grill right on the fire ring but up on the rig, no problem.

Similar to you, the most common cook request I get is babyback ribs, at least three racks.  And with ribs, the three most common "fix" requests I hear are:  (1) the rib ends burn; (2) want to set the ribs flat to foil or sauce; (3) don't like cutting the racks in half to fit; (4) want to do up to 6 racks (two Sams or Costco 3 packs).   With the adjustable rig, none of these is a problem.    

My favorite rib set-up is four racks as demonstrated in the youtube video below.

The adjustable rig is designed to let you change set-ups on the fly.  For example, to change from a direct raised grid set-up to an indirect raised grid set-up is as easy as opening the egg, sliding in the oval stone and closing the egg.  All of 5 seconds to do it and do not have to touch a thing in the egg.   

To access the lump is as easy as it gets with the adjustable rig.  You don't have to take the food off the grid(s).  You don't have to handle a hot ceramic piece.  And, you don't have to touch a grid.  All you have to do is simply lift the adjustable rig out as one complete unit.   I designed it this way because I like to add wood chunks atop the burning lump when I load up the food - gets the smoke going right away.  It's about a 10 second process, start to finish, - lift rig out, drop wood chunks and replace rig.  Plus the oval grids and stone make it easy to drop wood chunks into the lump during the cook.   You can see how it works in the rib cook youtube video above. 

I recently upgraded the rig extender and added a sliding D shape grid.  Now you can grill on two levels and have easy access to the lower grid.   Simply, slide the D grid back into the open dome.  One benefit having the D grid in the open dome is the grid remains over the egg, so any dripping will most likely stay in the egg - keeps your table or nest clean.   One cool move that happened by accident is to reset the grid back over the lump, just close the dome.  You can see this in our chicken video on you tube:

Another adjustable rig option with two grid cooks is you have options on where to place the lower rig - on or above the fire ring.  Having multiple height options for the lower grid gives you more control on how the fire and heat rolls over the grid(s).  If grilling a bunch of wings, keep the grids close together so to maintain similar grid temps.  Doing steaks and veggies, wide apart for searing down low and roasting up high.  

Being able to move the grid up or down on the fly lets you adjust quickly to how the lump is burning.   This is handy when burning used and new lump, as every so often you can run into a "dead" spot with used lump. 

The rig and its components are basically a big set up building blocks.  You can design and set-up to your own cooking abilities and needs.  Big plus is: it's designed to break down and store in the egg.  All stainless steel and built to last.  

Simply put the adjustable rig gives you options - how much or how little is up to you.  Feel free to call me if  you want to discuss more.  Tom  

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @tjv
    Will something like this ever be available for the medium or do space limitations prevent this?
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    My first egg was a medium and I made an adjustable rig for it.  Our biggest hurdle with the small and medium adjustable rigs is current volume requirement from our suppliers. Not so much the rig themselves but grids.  We have some good things happening at Ceramic Grill Store this year to solve the supplier issues and make more things like a medium adjustable rig readily available. 

Also will look at sliding D grids and rig extenders for the small, medium and large woos.  Plus couple other things up the proverbial sleeve.  It will be a slow roll out but should be well worth the wait.  

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    tjv said:
    My first egg was a medium and I made an adjustable rig for it.  Our biggest hurdle with the small and medium adjustable rigs is current volume requirement from our suppliers. Not so much the rig themselves but grids.  We have some good things happening at Ceramic Grill Store this year to solve the supplier issues and make more things like a medium adjustable rig readily available. 

Also will look at sliding D grids and rig extenders for the small, medium and large woos.  Plus couple other things up the proverbial sleeve.  It will be a slow roll out but should be well worth the wait.  

tom

I'm on the wait list!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Solson005
    I got busy and didn't remember to get pictures before the ribs went on but here is the CGW Swing Rack on the platesetter legs up with a Sams club 3 pack of ribs in a rib rack and a small turkey breast on the top tier. 

You could also flip the Shaft of the swing rack around and give you more headroom if you didn't have something big on the bottom. 
    It was dark before I was done cooking so I'll post a direct / raised direct picture tomorrow. Hope this helps you make a tough choice between two good options.