Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Dungeness Crab Dinner

doubledouble Posts: 1,214
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum
So for tonight's dinner me and my mini egger decided on a crab dinner for Moms Valentines.
Started off with 3 live crabs about 2.3lbs each.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

After boiling for about 6 minutes we cleaned them out and took them out to the egg.

We fried up some bok Choy with homemade bacon.

Grilled the crab brushed in lemon butter chucked in some apple chips mainly cause Mommy loves the smoke smell. Egg was at about 400.

Dinner was served ! Mom loved it the 2 1/2 year old devoured it and the 4 1/2 year old ate all the bacon!

Lynnwood WA

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,660
    That is not cooked here everyday. Wow
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,997
    Lord have mercy... =P~
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    I'm still licking my lips thanks :-) the 3 crab cost $44.00 I got off friggin cheap for Valentines. I told the wife I was getting crab and her words where. "Are you Eggin them" I said well I guess I could try... Best crab ever!
    Lynnwood WA
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 17,209
    damn, love dungeness, looks great!
    This is my signature line just so you're not confused.
    Large and Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr., smoker with a 5k btu AC, gas grill, fire pit, pack of angry cats, two turntables and a microphone, my friend.
    New Orleans, LA - we know how to eat 

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,691
    Was going to post my dinner, but .....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 2,902
    Awesome! The real king of crabs in my book. So sweet and delicious. Nice to see the future generation being properly groomed.
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Nicely done! =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,548

Never have grilled crab. So how was the meat? This was after you boilled them.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

Chattanooga, TN.

• CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,178
    Looks great! How long did you boil, and how long did you grill?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,239
    :-bd Nice job. Looks great. Cute kid and way to get him started young.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Wow!  Looks so good! :-bd
    Crab is my favorite, I'll take that over lobster all day long...
    And I love that smile on the 1st pic -- it says it all!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    @aviator and @CPARKTX

I boiled them for about 7 minutes so a little less than normal. I then let them cool till I could handle them to clean them. Had the egg at 400 direct with apple chips grilled them for probably 5 to 7 minutes turning once and brushing with lemon butter a couple of times. The meat tasted great the bodies and big legs picked up a nice hint of smoke. The shell cracked a lot easier after grilling and the meat had great texture.

I was really hesitant grilling them as I searched and couldn't find any recipes. I tried anyway and am glad I did. Thanks for all the compliments!

Lynnwood WA
  • That's amazing!!!!!! Wonderful looking cook!!!! =D>
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,873
    Wow!  Looks so good! :-bd
    Crab is my favorite, I'll take that over lobster all day long...
    And I love that smile on the 1st pic -- it says it all!
    Completely agree. Chesapeake Blue Crab is 1 million times better than any other crustacean on earth. The only reason crab became expensive is because rich people finally realized what they are missing with lobster. ;)

Yes, I am being completely biased