Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First stab at salmon

Just bought the 2 Tier XL and found some Raging River. Planks are soaking. Let's get ready to rumble!!! But stupid question.., how can Atlantic Salmon come from Chile? Isn't that on the Pacific Ocean?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life

Comments

• Chile is on the Pacific but I would guess it would be depending on where the boat has it's home port and it's really not that far from the southern most part of Chile to the Atlantic.  Probably really depends on where it is originally processed and if that spot is in Chile then that is where it would state it is from. Like I said, just a guess.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • I have never grilled Salmon. Please let us know how it turned out.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Yahtzee!!! Cooked 20 minutes raised direct on cedar planks at 400. Rubbed in honey, covered with DP Raging River and cooked over Stubbs Lump. It was absolutely delicious. Got the 2lb fillet at Costco. I will do this again. SWMBO was pleased.

• Looks Great!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Looks fantastic, always love adding a little honey or maple syrup to the salmon, just gives it a little sweet. Nice job.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Looks phenomenal, I've got to try this
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I am no expert but pretty sure Atlantic means farmed. It was farmed in chile.Luckily I'm in pnw, we do wild only. Not sure if Costco does it nationwide but they have frozen wild filets that are good to go.
    Seattle, WA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I'm pretty sure all Atlantic salmon is farm raised. It's just code. No such thing.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    I've been reading about the DP Raging River for the last two months. Adding it to the honey made for a magnificent tasting entree. To those who continually tout the Dizzy Pig spices, thank you.