Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Piri Piri Chicken (lots of pix)

This is my most favorite Steven Raichen recipe...it's intended for chicken wings, but tonight I grilled a whole spatchcock chicken with the marinade and glaze...  Piri Piri Chicken Wings

Last night, I knew I had to do something with this small, all natural, hormone-free chicken.  It donned on me that I had ginger....had cilantro....onion....lemon juice....hot sauce....garlic....I was set!  So last night, I used the food processor and whipped up the marinade.  Then poured it on the chicken, worked the marinade over and under the skin, and marinaded it for about 20 hours or so covered in the fridge. 

Set the BGE for a raised, direct cook at around a 375 deg f dome temp. 

Let it go until the internal temp of the chicken reached 175 deg in the legs and thighs, and 162 deg in the breasts.

Cut it all up, then glazed it once it was plated.  Recipe works just fine on a whole chicken as it does on wings.  :)

Our last coupla whole chickens have been All Natural and Hormone-Free...  I think we will buy these from now on.  They are much smaller than those chickens at Wally World that are the size of small turkeys.  They seem to stay so much more juicy as well.  And they taste much better in our opinions...almost "richer" and more "delicate" if that makes sense?  I dunno how to explain my brain sometimes.  ;)  Anywho...this recipe is killer.  Highly recommended.  :D  

·

Comments

• Nothing like Portuguese chicken! Nice

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Never thought to do it with a whole bird! Thanks  =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,450
    Looks fantastic Dyal. What is on the menu for valentines day?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,581
    Thanks, fellas'!  @Chubbs, gonna do a heart shape pizza and maybe a heart shaped cookie.  :)  Hopefully impress the Mrs.   :x
    ·
  • Very cool.  I love peri peri.  These are dried peppers from my own plant.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
    I actually didn't use piri piri sauce.  I used to be able to get the Nando's from World Market, but they discontinued it locally for me.  :(  So I've just used Crystal's Hot Sauce the last coupla times.  I gotta try growing my own peri peri peppers. 
    ·
  • Dyal_SC said:
    I actually didn't use piri piri sauce.  I used to be able to get the Nando's from World Market, but they discontinued it locally for me.  :(  So I've just used Crystal's Hot Sauce the last coupla times.  I gotta try growing my own peri peri peppers. 
    Go to the Dichicko's Peri Peri Cafe site, and buy a pound of dried peppers.  Lifetime supply.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
    Thx, Doc! Will do...
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,980
    Dyal_SC said:
    Thanks, fellas'!  @Chubbs, gonna do a heart shape pizza and maybe a heart shaped cookie.  :)  Hopefully impress the Mrs.   :x

You're so gay! Just ignore me, I'm bitter cuz my wife is halfway across the planet. Hope it impresses. Always wondered how that would work on a whole chicken. Looks like it turned out great.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,061
    Nice! I love the heat, so a piri piri sauce/marinade is on my list of to-do's.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    Griffin said:

Dyal_SC said:

You're so gay! Just ignore me, I'm bitter cuz my wife is halfway across the planet. Hope it impresses. Always wondered how that would work on a whole chicken. Looks like it turned out great.

image.jpg 21.3K
    ·
    Just messin', Griffin. ;) Hope you and Stacie get some normality with your schedules soon. :)
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,980
    edited February 2013
    @Dyal_SC - ouch. That hurts. ;) I'll just numb it with some whiskey. :D

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,526
    Dichicko Peri peri sauce is available at the fresh market. Just FYI.

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,408
    Griffin said:
    @Dyal_SC - ouch. That hurts. ;) I'll just numb it with some whiskey. :D
    There are cheaper ways to numb it than with whiskey. Try some Orajel; it has a lidocaine derivative in it.
    ·
  • Nice cook!  That sauce sounds amazing.. gonna try it, thanks! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·