Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Select" Rib

Options
Several members of our family have birthdays in February.  Mom gave me a "prime rib" to cook on my new egg.  Putting it in the freezer, I noticed the USDA label actually says "Select".  How does this affect how I should approach it?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    If you cook it at 225* to 250* it won't matter one little bit. Just my opinion.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    I have done probably 5-6 select prime ribs so I am no expert by any means but here is what I have found. Keep in mind I haven't done one on the egg yet as I just got it about a month ago. The others were done on a WSM. Is it in cryovac? If so, I would just leave it in the cryo and place in your fridge. I wouldn't cook it for at least 2 weeks and 3 is even better. Let that sucker age. It will be tender. Rotate it and flip it in the fridge every day or so. Cook it at 225 or really whatever temp you want. I generally ran around 325 and would then pull it when the internal temp in the middle is 125. Generally used a chunk or 2 of oak. Good eats for sure.
    XL BGE
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    "Prime rib" doesn't refer to the USDA grade, it is more a reference to "primal" if I recall correctly.  It is really a "standing rib roast". 

It won't have as much marbling of fat in it, so I would cook it doing a reverse sear, letting it slow cook (250f) up until the point it is close to your desired finishing point and then searing over direct heat.  Actually I would do that with a choice or prime too, but especially with a select rib roast.

Regardless, I think you'll love it and have some good eats! 

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Blewis212
    Options

Nibble, you are right.  I just came across an article that explains it is where it is from and not the quality of meat.  You learn something new everyday!

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Having covered that USDA grade Select has less fat than USDA grades choice or prime, I would approach it like a round roast - which are also low fat.  Cook it slow (200-225). Don't let the internal temp get over 125. Rest it for at least 30 minutes before slicing.

The longer that roast stays between 40 and 120 degrees - the more the proteins will break down and the more tender it will be.  

As a matter of personal opinon, I would not try to dry age this roast.  The liquid loss vs flavor boost without a good  fat marbling will hinder it.