Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Country ribs question?

Should I cook these like I would a butt since it is a shoulder.  Cook at about 250 degrees grid temp to 190-200 meat temp? 

Anything wrong with saucing at the end to set a glaze like a rib?

Any other tips?

·

Comments

• I usually cook around 325 direct and sauce throughout the cook. Always turn out great.
    ·
  • I just did some last week and put them on at 250 for about 2 hours then sauced them and wrapped them in foil and left them on for another 1-1/2 hours. They came out tender and juicy. The wife loved them and people that is the only one I got to please.
    ·
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    I cook them just about like pork chops. Dry rub, then cook direct at around 375-400. They are too small to treat like butt, IMHO.

But, whatever turns out good is good. ;)

Tim
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    country ribs can be from the butt or the loin. 275 from the butt and cook them well done, 325 from the loin to 140 internal and rest
    ·
  • I sear mine at gasket level direct heat for about 30 minutes, then place them in my CI pot with a head of chopped cabbage and a pound of washed sauerkraut in the bottom.  Maybe add a 1/2 a can cheap beer, cover and let simmer for a couple of hours!!!  The BEST !
    ·
  • I do kind of like Charlie tuna does.  I sear mine for just a few minutes per side.

Then I put them in a dish on top of a bunch of chopped carrots, celery, onion, and thyme and pour in enough broth to come up to about 1/2 the height of chops. 

I foil that and roast on the plate setter until the ribs hit 190-195f.  Serve the chops and pour the sauce over some rice, good stuff.

Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • I normally treat them like a chop and grill them direct (already talked about), but I have also treated them like burnt ends. Low with smoke for a few hours, then wrap in foil with a little liquid and braise. Once they are cooked to your preferred doneness, cut them up into 1" cubes and put back on the low smoke in a pan/foil boat with sauce. Delish. Also works really well for beef short ribs.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
    ·