Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porketta advice needed

Options
So I made a special trip to the Italian butcher on the other side of town to buy one of his famous porkettas. The recommended method from him is in the oven wraped in foik at 350° for 40-45 minutes per pound. Then remove from foil for the last 30-40 minutes to brown. Now I'm guessing because of the fattieness of the pork, and the potential to dry out in an oven over 3 hours, that's why they recommend to foil. But heck ... I have a fricken Egg. If anyone has done a porkettas in their Egg, would you recommend leaving it unfoiled for a while to get some bark, lowering the temp a bit, adding smoke? Any advice would be appreciated.
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
image.jpg 1021.5K

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    No clue, but I'm looking forward to seeing what advice you get and how it turns out. Good luck.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I started a discussion about Butts and Picnics, and the resulting Porchetta and Pernil, and got some good response.  Check it out HERE.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Porchetta is just fantastic! It's a butt, so you cover to speed the cooking process. See this thread.

I have to admit that I did it in the oven the second time I made it because I didn't have time to fool with the egg for the 5-6-hour cook. My husband and I didn't notice a big difference, probably because it is exposed to the smoke for only two hours. I'm not sure you'd want a lot of smoke, though. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    It looks like your porchetta is made from a deboned, skinless pork shoulder. I see no reason for you to wrap in foil. Cook it like you would a pork roast for slicing.

A tradition porchetta is made from the whole deboned pig and the skin is still intact. In that case, you would want gentle direct heat to crisp up the skin.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited February 2013
    Options
    billybon said:
    It looks like your porchetta is made from a deboned, skinless pork shoulder. I see no reason for you to wrap in foil. Cook it like you would a pork roast for slicing.

A tradition porchetta is made from the whole deboned pig and the skin is still intact. In that case, you would want gentle direct heat to crisp up the skin.

That's true to an extent but any stuffed pork qualifies as porchetta, at least in this area. Greeno, I would find out if it's a stuffed butt, which it probably is and if so, cook it lower temp for longer time. If the stuffing is part sausage you should get it to 160  internal. If it is any kind of loin use the foil.

Steve 

Caledon, ON