Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Success with Beef Tenderloin

StewsanStewsan Posts: 0
First try cooking a beef tenderloin on the Green Egg was a success.  Had a very lean 2 lb. tenderloin.  The only seasoning used was salt and pepper applied one hour before cooking.  Heated the egg up to 650, placed the tenderloin on the grate for 3 min.  Turned the tenderloin and cooked at 650 for 3 min.  Turned again and closed all the vents and monitored the internal temp.  Removed at 120 deg. and wrapped in foil for 15 minutes before slicing.  A comment from one of the diners was "Damn Good".
·

Comments

• Man that looks good.. I love beef tenderloin. What did you serve with it??
    Hunter - LBGE

Oxford, MS
    ·
  • LeedogLeedog Posts: 16
    Tenderloin looks great, think I will have to put one on for the Superbowl game.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,282
    Wow, I'd never try tenderloin at 650, but that looks pretty good!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 818
    2lbs?  I've never heard of a beef tenderloin that small. 
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,416
    Nice dude. You've got some cajones to do that. I bow to you, good sir.
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    Looks outstanding. Beef T does great on the egg. I have had the most success with it. I do mine indirect at 350 until the IT is 120. I take it off, take out the platesetter, ramp up the egg to 700 and sear for 4 min a side. Been great.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,461
    Plano_JJ said:
    Looks outstanding. Beef T does great on the egg. I have had the most success with it. I do mine indirect at 350 until the IT is 120. I take it off, take out the platesetter, ramp up the egg to 700 and sear for 4 min a side. Been great.
    Same as me.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,064
    That looks so good. Added to my list of future must-do Egg cooks.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Plano_JJ said:
    I want to clarify, you remove the Beef T while ramping heat up to 700? 
    ·
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,861
    I'm in. Looks pretty darn good to me. Nice work there.
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,668
    Excellent, I did one for Thanksgiving. I am trying your way next time. I just did 350 indirect and seared it at the end. This way looks easier with great results.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    Oilpony said:
    Plano_JJ said:
    I want to clarify, you remove the Beef T while ramping heat up to 700? 
    Yes, then put back on for about 3-4 min a side.
    ·
  • Looks tasty!
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
  • How long at indirect for it to get to 120 IT?  How many minutes per pound?
    ·
  • bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 964
    I would do a search for reverse sear if you haven't tried that yet.  One of my cooks in which I shut the air off and waited to come to internal temp had a slightly acrid taste to the smoke.  I'm glad this worked for you, a good tenderloin is a bit pricy to waste if it should go wrong.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·