Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turbo Butt

I have always done low and slows for my butts. This is my first attempt at a turbo. I have it on at 350 dome. My questions are: Is it necessary to foil so it doesn't dry out? Or is there another reason to foil? Or should I not foil at all?

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    In my humble opinion, I just base it on my bark. Once I achieve the bark I'm looking for, I then foil. Regardless of the internal temp. Last time, I got a good looking bark at around 175 deg f internal temp. Foiling will help you fight against the plateau while allowing you to not dry the bark out any further in my experience. If you are pressed for time, you can always foil sooner. But you won't get the same bark.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I learned how by foiling at 160. Next I did not foil. I have foiled and put in box. I have pulled the pork w/o the box. In turbo butts I can't tell the difference no matter how I cook it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thanks. Can you tell much difference between low & slow and turbo?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Not enough to ever go back to overnight cooks.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Contrarian here on turbo. I just love the whole low and slow, the plateau and the great bark without foiling that I never consider turbo.

Having said that, one of the things I like best about Q is that there is no RIGHT way, only right results.

Q the way you and your family enjoy!!
  • Thanks for all the replies. What is a good temp to pull off the egg? Should I let it rest before pulling?
  • It isn't about the temp, though start checking about 195.  It is about the tenderness.  Can you easily pull the bone or does a fork easily twist in it.  If it does it is done.  I usually let it sit for a little while (30 min or so) before pulling.  I think that is preference, however I'm sure some of the folks here who have been doing it longer have more informed opinions.
    Thanks for all the replies. What is a good temp to pull off the egg? Should I let it rest before pulling?

Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE