Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's A "Cast-Iron Trivet"?

Options
Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The discussion below does not explain what a Cast-Iron trivet is and what is is used for? What am I missing?[p]Thanks in advance for your bit in getting rid of ignorance.[p]Anthony

Comments

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    Anthony Up North,[p]Go to Tim's Site and click on eggcessories..it will show the cast iron trivet. It is used instead of the ceramic one to generate more heat as a result of more air holes.

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    Chief,[p]Checked it all out. It is very clear.... Plan to order one right away.[p]Thanks for your help.[p]Anthony

• Unknown
    Options
    Anthony Up North, order two cauz they aren't forever and S&H charges are such that it doesn't cost you any more as I recall. You need to flip them from time to time as they sag from the intense heat. ^oo^~

• Anthony Up North
    Options
    one feral kat,
    Good advice - will do. How long does one last assumeing you do extensive grilling?[p]Thanks.[p]Anthony

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Anthony Up North,
    My first one lasted almost a year...4-7 days a week action.
    I did not know of the occasional flipping technique, so it was a pretty deep bowl shape. Still worked, but since Tim brought me a new one I am using it now (and flipping).[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Anthony Up North
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]What is the actual effect of the trivet, to get the coals hotter, faster?? Would you use this for low/slow cooking (225-275 degrees) or would you then switch back to the standard ceramic grid.[p]Thanks for your help.[p]Anthony

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Anthony Up North,
    The trivet allows the air to flow more freely, and the holes have less chance of becoming clogged. The air is still controlled as before, by the bottom vent and/or the daisy wheel. Have not used the ceramic grate since switching to the trivet. No problem maintaining 200 foe 8-12 hours for jerky...and turbo cooks are a piece of cake.[p]Happy Free Breathing.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    one feral kat,[p]No need to rush to buy two. I have had mine for 1.5 yrs and it has not come close to failing. Every time I run totally out of lump I will flip it over. So far that has made it sag very little but Nature's looks like a birds nest. He has a new one ready to go on should he need it though. [p]One nice advantage is that you will be able to start a fast hot fire by placing a fire cube (I use Webber's) under the trivet. You will have 400 deg in 15 min. For lo & slo I start on top of the lump. Good luck - you'll like it.[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Glad to see you finally removed that old one. I'll take a picture of it next time I come up - how deep was it??[p]
    | |
    | |
    |___|[p]
    Tim

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Tim M,
    Usin' that new sucker now thanks to you!! Birds nest! lol.
    Yeah, I am savin' the birds nest for a souvenir. Maybe I'll bring it along to the Eggtoberfest as a good luck charm and a conversation piece!! Yeeeee Ha!!!
    NB[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Bud Ugly
    Bud Ugly Posts: 8
    Options
    Got me a cast iron trivet now. had to get one after hearin' NB, Tim M and others rave 'bout 'em. IT IS A GOOD THING. don't know how i did w/out one for so long. usedta do only low & slow top burnin' fires, now i'm doin' bottom burnin' blazers for rib eyes, etc. cooked up some killer tri-tips to die for. gotta get more rib eyes, must eat more red meat.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Bud Ugly,
    Uhhhhhmmmm. Trivet good! Like red meat. Red meat gooooood!![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com