Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcelerator

Options
Im a new Egg owner. I'm interested in buying a Eggcelerator, I'm wondering yes/no? Pro's / Cons? Any input will be appreciated.

Comments

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    Pro's - it works as advertised, especially on dense lump piles that don't get hot as fast as those with big chunks of lump.  Sturdy construction.

Con's - pricey, it also chews through the batteries pretty quickly.  I actually bought a 12 volt lithium battery off amazon to connect to it.  I can recharge the lithium battery pack.  The system works great.

Overall, I am happy i bought it, but I think BGE is making some real money off of this item.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    I don't have it but I know others who do and they aren't happy with it...cost vs benefit
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would buy a digiQ or partyQ instead. The partyQ is fairly inexpensive and will, in conjunction with a dual probe thermo, work the same as a digiQ. Just leave the pit probe outside the egg and it will prompt the fan to stoke the coals, like the eggcellerator.
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    I bought a 12v power supply because of what tgkleman said.
    They were suppose to make a power supply for them but, have not.
    One thing, you have to connect another ground wire for the power supply to work.
    It also provides the maximum output vs batteries that are weak.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I light my lump with a Wagner heat gun. If the egg isn't heating up fast enough I place the gun through the bottom vent till I'm about 50-100 degrees from my target and dial it in.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN