Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I Hit The Motherlode!

Traveling quite a bit over the last few years was sometimes trying, at best, spending lonely nights in distant hotel rooms and running through every airport in the country. But the sacrifice has really paid off.  I had quite a lot of airline miles and hotel rewards points that were going to expire, so with a little ingenuity and patience, I was able to put a really big smile on my face as well as on that of SWMBO.  With expiring points and miles, I was able to acquire some of the larger ticket items I was wanting.  Also stepping up to better quality, than I probably would have purchased otherwise.

I was able to get a LEM 3/4 HP Meat Grinder, a LEM 20 lb capacity Meat Mixer, a VacMaster VP215C Chamber Vacuum Sealer, and last but certainly not least a Poly Science Sous Vide Professional.

I know some of this might be over-kill, but it didn't cost a cent.  Now I can OD on experimentation.  For you Pros out there, I warn you I'll be asking a lot of questions.
Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
·

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 6,930
    Congrats!!! Have fun!
    ·
  • Nice haul!

Only an egghead would do that rather than spend a month in Polynesia

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I'm having trouble posting a picture.  I'll try this again.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,429
    Wow...never thought of doing that.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Wow, looks like fun!
    ·
  • ENJOY! Having been in all those hotel room, airports, and rent cars, I can easily say that you worked for it, you earned it, you deserve it, and now go enjoy it!
    ·
  • I plan on making Andouille for my first sausage project.  Does anyone have a killer recipe.  Next up will be Kielbasa.  Looking for a good recipe for that too! 
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,974
    Wow! That's quite a haul. I'm off to see what I can cash in my points for!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926

Haven't tried an Andouille yet, but check out this webstite. People on the Smokering Forum talk about it a bunch.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/

Congrats on your haul. What stuffer are you using?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Great use of loyalty points. much better than vacation flights and hotel nights. 

Congrats on a smart move. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 407
    Good call on the Poly Science!  So much fun and a nice compliment to the egg.  I have elk ribs & veal shanks in it now on a 48 hour cook.  Enjoy your loot!
    ·
  • Nice haul man! I am looking into my miles as well now and found that I can get a sous vide as well, thanks!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  • Griffin said:

Haven't tried an Andouille yet, but check out this webstite. People on the Smokering Forum talk about it a bunch.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/

Congrats on your haul. What stuffer are you using?

The stuffer hasn't arrived yet, should be today, but it's a LEM 10 lb stuffer.  (Amazon gift card purchased with rewards points.)

Thanks for the link!
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    That's a big 'un. I got the 5lber from LEM. Still need to break it in.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • The 5lber probably would have been big enough for me too.  I went with the bigger one only because I could without spending money.  I figure if I ever need the size, it will be there, but I doubt I'll ever make batches bigger the 5 lbs.
    ·
  • I've made this one and it was really good but it was pre egg and I botched it in the Bradley

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/homemade-andouille-sausage-recipe/index.html

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Check your Inbox
    I know the voices aren't real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.
    ·
  • That's crazy!  What is a meat mixer?  Have fun!
    ·