Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wood chunks!

just came back from a trip to vegas!!!! it was awesome! but cant wait to fire up the grill! gonna do some baby backs, and ive bought some apple and cherry wood chunks,ive never used them always chips.can any one help with how many, where to place them in the lump, that sort of thing???

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited February 2013
    It's all a matter of preference buddy. Some will like more smoke then others, if you have good sized pieces of lump I would put a chunk directly on the bottom of the fire grate, and then two more on the outside portion of the fire box after adding about 3 inches of lump and then another chunk directly in the middle just under the lump that you are going to light for the fire. Of course this is totally dependent on how long a cook you are doing. If you are doing a direct grilling cook I would just drop the a chunk or two on top of the fire right before you put the meat on
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    It's all a matter of preference buddy. Some will like more smoke then others, if you have good sized pieces of lump I would put a chunk directly on the bottom of the fire grate, and then two more on the outside portion of the fire box after adding about 3 inches of lump and then another chunk directly in the middle just under the lump that you are going to light for the fire. Of course this is totally dependent on how long a cook you are doing. If you are doing a direct grilling cook I would just drop the a chunk or two on top of the fire right before you put the meat onl

+1
  • thanks for the response ill give it a try

=D>
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I spread them out and right when I load the grill I throw on a big chunk.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hi Eggers! I have opted for using the Amaz-N-Products Tube-Smoker. I can get pellets in just about any wood you can imagine. The Tube-Smoker gives me an incredibly consistent smoke every time I use it. I could never really achieve consistent smoke flavor using using chunks and as we all know, chips are a waste of time. Plus I don't have to go digging thru my lump after every cook retrieving chunks that haven't burned in case I want to switch from mesquite (a heavy smokie flavor) to something much lighter like peach wood.
  • CeramicChef, what is a tube smoker???and where would i find one????

• thanks CC!!! =D>
  • daffy1909 said:
    thanks CC!!! =D>
    looks like a great product!gonna order the twelve inch.with a few different pellets! peach,cherry,jd,and orange(never tried orange before) thanks again!!
  • For low and slows, temps under 275, I've found my chips (stock I've had for some time) work OK, not as good as chunks, but still OK. The egg can limit the combustion air so well that the chips do not seem to erupt all at the same time. 
    I use a little less and on shorter cook, steak or chicken that I plan to reverse sear. 
    Apple and cherry are my all around favourites, but mesquite and hickory both have their place. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • daffy1909 said:
    daffy1909 said:
    thanks CC!!! =D>
    looks like a great product!gonna order the twelve inch.with a few different pellets! peach,cherry,jd,and orange(never tried orange before) thanks again!!

Daffy - IMHO, I think it is a great product. I put mine on the platesetter for every low-n-slow that I do. You'll be amazed at the quality od every smoke! Enjoy! If you have any questions just ask away.