Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pulled Beef in a Blizzard

Taking my first crack at pulled beef today in blizzard like conditions.  Should be fun.  I'm trying Clay's method of making them from the Dizzy Pig website.  The chuck roast went on at 8:45 a.m. central time.  Should be done in time for supper.  I will update throughout the cook.

001.JPG 2.2M
002.JPG 1.9M
003.JPG 1.5M
·

Comments

• I like that setup idea with the aluminum pan for pulled beef.  
    ·
  • KempyKempy Posts: 186

About 3 hours in.  IT is at 125F.

As the beef was cooking, I decided to squeeze some lunch on the egg.  I decided to go with jalapeno and cheddar brats.  Turned out delicious.

I will update later.  Off to fire up the snowblower.

005.JPG 1.7M
    006.JPG 1.6M
    007.JPG 1.9M
    ·
    It appears I've hit the plateau.  IT stuck at 139F.  It's been stuck there for a while.  I must remember, patience is a virtue.
    ·
  • I am only on my fifth "pulled beef" meal, but beef doesn't cook near as predictable as pork and a whole lot longer to hit target pulling temperature??? 
    ·
    I am only on my fifth "pulled beef" meal, but beef doesn't cook near as predictable as pork and a whole lot longer to hit target pulling temperature??? 
    This is my first attempt and definately a learning experience.  I didn't even consider that it would hit a stall.  Glad I've gave my plenty of time to play with.  I think I'm out of the first stall, up to 143F.  After the first stall I poked around the internet and discovered that a chuck roast can have multiple stalls.  It will interesting to see if it happens again. 
    ·
  • I didn't realize this fact at all -- no wonder it takes so long!!  I had one that stalled for two hours to gain ten degrees???  But it was well worth the wait !!
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,772
    I did the pan as well.., to big for any of my DO..,

Little less clean up as well.

Glad to see cooking during the storm!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,227
    Meat stall is another term for time to drink more.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • REALLY --- i'm gonna be cookin more BEEF !! ;)
    ·
    hapster said:
    I did the pan as well.., to big for any of my DO.., Little less clean up as well. Glad to see cooking during the storm!
    Cooking in the storm has proved a little interesting.  I've been able to keep my temps right around 250.  A couple of times, it started creeping up on me a bit, but nothing extreme.  I've had to make a couple of small adjustments to the vents to lower the temp.  Right now its 260F at grate.  Might have to adjust again if it creeps up more.
    ·
    henapple said:
    Meat stall is another term for time to drink more.
    I was thinking the same thing.  Only problem is 2:00 is probably a little early.  Maybe once I hit 160F, foil and place back on, I will have to enjoy a beverage.  Only 15F to go!
    ·
  • Sounds to me that your probe is off by about 15 or twenty degrees!!

:((
    ·

Sounds to me that your probe is off by about 15 or twenty degrees!!

:((
    +1 I say have a drink and write yourself a note to check you thermo calibrations tomorrow.
    ·
    I feel like @charlie_tuna and @hapster ; are sitting on one shoulder like this >:)  but for some reason I can't find the little angle emoticon for the other shoulder.  Must. Resist. For. 13F. More.
    ·
  • Sorry Kempy but I gotta go on the devil's side of the argument.  Love that pulled beef though.
    >:)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
    I guess you guys win.  Wait, maybe everybody wins.
    008.JPG 1.5M
    ·
    That's a picture of a cook in order...

Nicely played.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,130
    Kempy said:
    It took me a minute to figure out what that handle-looking thingie was on your beverage top... 

:-/

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
    Botch said:
    Kempy said:
    It took me a minute to figure out what that handle-looking thingie was on your beverage top... 

:-/
    Love my Tervis.  Keeps your beverage of choice nice and cold.  And that top is still proof when closed.  You know, just in case the glass gets filled and emptied a few too many times and you knock it over.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,130
    No, I was looking at the woodwork in your entryway, in the background, thought it was part of the cup!   :\">

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
    Botch said:
    No, I was looking at the woodwork in your entryway, in the background, thought it was part of the cup!   :\">
    ahh.  Not a big fan of that thing.  It does provide a place for SWMBO to put some of her plants.
    ·

Finally got the IT up to 160 so I pulled to foil and apply water and maple syrup.  This is truly a weird piece of roast.  The top half is definately cooking way faster than the bottom half.  Feels like the top half is nearly ready to pull.  I'm flipping it upside down for the second part of the cook. Anyways, here are some updated photos.

009.JPG 1.8M
    010.JPG 1.9M
    ·
    Finally finished it.  About 11 hours on the grill.  Ended up cranking up the heat to 325F for the last 2 hours.  I decided to not do the last step in Clay's recipe.  Instead, I intend on vacuum sealing about 1/2 of it for later.  I think with that 1/2 I will heat it up in sauce on the BGE.  Turned out very tender and tastes great.  (I have to admit, I only had 1 sandwich because the cook took much longer than anticipated so I ate a left over brat for supper.)  Anyways, here are some pix of the final product.
    011.JPG 1.6M
    012.JPG 1.5M
    013.JPG 1.7M
    ·
  • flemsterflemster Posts: 258
    well done.  A cook I will have to try sometime.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
    ·