Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Awesome Tuna

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Two nights ago I had one of the best meals I ever had. I marinated Tuna steaks in Sherry (about 1/4 cup), Sesame Oil (about 1/4 cup), 1 clove crushed garlic, honey (1 Tbsp), and salt and pepper for 1 1/2 hours. Drained and sprinkled with a little more salt and pepper. Seared one side at high heat (700) turned it over, shut Mr. egg down after 1 minute, and let it cook a few minutes, checking for doneness. Result was OUTSTANDING. Beautiful grill marks, superb flavor, and ever so slightly pink in center. PERFECTION. French potato salad and sauteed asparagus on the side - what could be better? One of my best Egg meals yet.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Oops, make that a couple of Tbs. of sesame oil (not 1/4 cup).
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    jerry,[p]I've cooked a lot of fish on the egg but only once have I cooked Tuna. Unfortunatily it was also one of the first pieces of fish I cooked on the egg too. I overcooked it a bit so mine was a bit dry, good flavor but dry. Overcooking fish on the egg happens almost instantly it seems. That tuna recipe sounds like a winner, definitely want to try tuna again. Congrats on an awesome cook, sounds like it will be tough to top but thats the fun of the egg, your best cook always seems to be the last one that you did. Just keeps gettin better.[p]Troy
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    jerry,[p]This is a fine looking recipe. Tuna is one of the wife's favorites, she brings it home frequently and we're always looking for different ways to prepare it. Thanx, will give this one a try on the weekend.[p]BTW, how thick were the steaks you did??[p]K~G

• Unknown
    Options
    KennyG,
    Steaks were about 1 inch thick. The steaks I cooked were small, each about a quarter lb. (about the size of your palm). I thought they would be too small, but tuna is a very dense fish. Quarter lb. was actually a good serving portion.

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    jerry,
    This sounds GREAT! I'm fixing it for company next week and my mouth's already watering.[p]Tractor

• Unknown
    Options
    tractor,
    You will enjoy this. Just be sure to keep checking for doneness. I use and believe highly in the cheat and peek method myself. Center should be just slightly pink.

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    jerry,
    I prepared some fresh Red Snapper using this method/marinade and it was GREAT![p]Tractor[p]