Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Spicy Cheekan Legs...2 ways

Cooked these drums up sorta like wings.  They were 1/3 the price of chicken wings, so we went with these instead.  They were dusted with baking powder and seasoning, then cooked indirect around 350 deg f until the skin was crispy. 

Then sauced afterwards... half of the drums got sauced with a mixture of Ranch Dressing and Crystal's Wing Sauce... the other half got sauced with some Spicy Miso Teriyaki and Sesame Seeds.  Served up with some simple oven-baked french fries.

Simple yet good.

·

Comments

• U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    once again @Dyal_SC  throwing the smack down.  looks good!

·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    Looks good! After I got a leg rack like that I've been making them in my regular rotation..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • jfm0830jfm0830 Posts: 968
    I've called you King of Wings before Dyal (No Queen jokes Griffin, get new material) and I will also say Lord of the Legs. Those legs look darn near perfect. I never made legs until I got my Egg and I think I'll need to get me one of those leg racks.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
    ·
  • Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 262
    very inspirational---now I'll be dreaming of legs
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,469
    =P~ =D> \m/
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Looks great and I love the sound of your sauce concoctions!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,596
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for checking out my legs! Jim, you are so much nicer to me than @Griffin is...I don't know what I ever did to that guy. :-?
    ·
    Heading to publix. Guess I am grabbing some chicken legs.
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,441
    The word of the day is legs \ / spread the word...    :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
    Back from store. Making a batch of the ranch ones for lunch. Dyal, can you just send me your weekly menu so I can copy it every week.
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,527
    They sell a buffallo ranch dressing: ranch with red hot. Have not tried it on wings or legs, but man, what a concept !!!

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,064
    Lookin good! I like that spicy miso sauce... Do you have a recipe?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·

Thanks guys.  @Chubbs, hope your legs turned out good.  My wife makes the weekly menu every Sunday and writes it on a dry erase board on our fridge.  :))  When it's written down, it keeps us from going out to eat, and spending too much money.  :)  @caliking, I use the Kikkoman brand of Spicy Miso Teriyaki Sauce.  It's good stuff and goes a long way.  Only thing I do extra is sprinkle on additional sesame seeds. 

·
  • rholtrholt Posts: 368
    I did legs last night about the exact same setup as yours but my skin was rubbery. I think I am going skinless from now on. It always flops and it will be a little healthier. Great looking cook.
    ·
    rholt said:

I did legs last night about the exact same setup as yours but my skin was rubbery. I think I am going skinless from now on. It always flops and it will be a little healthier. Great looking cook.

If I'm doing wings (or drums like wings), then I like to indirectly cook them at around 375 deg f. That's because I like using the baking powder technique. Gives the skin a fried like texture that really helps soak in the sauce. More than one way to skin a cat, so that's just what works for me. If I'm not using baking powder, I like grilling chicken raised direct at around 400 deg f. You will get crispy skin that way too...just not "fried-like"...

·
  • Those legs look great. Where can we get a leg rack like the one you used?
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
    ·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    @jccbone62 I got mine at Ace Hardware, it was in the clearance section and not expensive. Here is one from amazon Leg Rack 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
    Thx, @jccbone62! I got the leg rack at Lowes a coupla years back. It was on clearance for $2. :)
    ·
  • Thanks guys I will be on the look out for one in the near future. Cook on....
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,990

:-t  @jfm0830 - I wasn't gonna do one until you said something. He is the Quesadilla Queen, though.

The legs do look good, @Dyal_SC. Think I'm gonna try that ranch sauce. How did all the jokes get started? I don't 'member. Something about a sarcasm club on another board? I believe somebody was the Emperor?

:-?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·