Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Snowstorm Cook...

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 6,768
    JRWhitee said:

Maybe Hapster finished that bottle of Woodford.

:))
    Nah... Have just north of half left :)
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,055
    Looks solid Hapster. I have not mastered brisket. Only done three though. I guess being from SC I like tradition pulled pork. We agree on the beverage for sure.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Brisket looks great man! 

28" of snow far....and it's still coming down!
    ·
    bigphil said:

@hapster i pull mine @200/205 internal when the a poker goes into it like melted better its done looks awesome i got the sides just tell me what time 

Thanks... I'm making up a big batch of slaw to go with it right now.
    ·
    AleBrewer said:

Brisket looks great man! 

Damn you. Jealous as hell... Have fun and stay safe. Sunny and windy here; not even a dusting.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,055
    Hap, by the way, I cooked your fire roasted veggie salsa over chicken with avocado the other night. Very good. \m/
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,591
    So no braising step, flipping it over, foil crutch step, or any of that. Just straight up low and slow?
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,383
    hapster said:
    @hapster i pull mine @200/205 internal when the a poker goes into it like melted better its done looks awesome i got the sides just tell me what time 
    Thanks... I'm making up a big batch of slaw to go with it right now.
    some place i have a recipe for a spicy slaw i'll look for it if you'd like it 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,609
    The poker with tell you when to ftc it, I pulled mine last week at 197.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
    Might be in the stall now... The IT has dropped back to 177.
    ·
    @500 yep. Straight up low and slow.

Thank @Chubbs glad it turned out well :)

@bigphil that would be great. Thanks!
    ·
  • hapster said:
    Brisket looks great man! 

Damn you. Jealous as hell... Have fun and stay safe. Sunny and windy here; not even a dusting.
    Yeah......well, umm....I'm not even at home. I'm working in the mid west, so no snow here either. My wife is at home dealing with all this.....wish I was home though. I'd have the Egg going with some ribs for lunch!
    ·
    AleBrewer said:

hapster said:

AleBrewer said:

Brisket looks great man! 

Yeah......well, umm....I'm not even at home. I'm working in the mid west, so no snow here either. My wife is at home dealing with all this.....wish I was home though. I'd have the Egg going with some ribs for lunch!

Well.., still jealous. Hope your wife stays safe and has power.
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,383
    @hapster here you go . it's called spicy lexington red slaw from the book wicked good barbecue .
    1 cup - cayenne pepper sauce (franks red hot )
    1/2 - cup Worcestershire sauce 
    1/4 - cup cider vinegar 
    1/4 - cup packed brown sugar 
    2 - tablespoons of chilli powder 
    1 - head napa cabbage , thinly sliced 
    2 - carrots shredded 
    2 - tablespoons IQUE dry rub (i used dizzy swamp venom )
    i also used regular cabbage this stuff was to spicy for most so i added a few tablespoons of mayo and made it a creamy spicy slaw, surprisingly it turned out to be really good and was a great hit . i liked it as is but for the masses a touch of mayo was the trick  . let me know what you think if and when you make it 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • That looks awesome Sir!  I can't wait to do my 1st brisket.

Mark

·
    bigphil said:
    @hapster here you go . it's called spicy lexington red slaw from the book wicked good barbecue .
    1 cup - cayenne pepper sauce (franks red hot )
    1/2 - cup Worcestershire sauce 
    1/4 - cup cider vinegar 
    1/4 - cup packed brown sugar 
    2 - tablespoons of chilli powder 
    1 - head napa cabbage , thinly sliced 
    2 - carrots shredded 
    2 - tablespoons IQUE dry rub (i used dizzy swamp venom )
    i also used regular cabbage this stuff was to spicy for most so i added a few tablespoons of mayo and made it a creamy spicy slaw, surprisingly it turned out to be really good and was a great hit . i liked it as is but for the masses a touch of mayo was the trick  . let me know what you think if and when you make it 
    Thank you for the recipe... I don't have any carrots and have a head of green and a head of red cabbage shredded already. I might go more traditional on this one and try yours on a smaller batch soon. I think it might be a touch warm for the rest of my family, and I am not a fan of mayo with my cabbage if I'm making it :)
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,591
    Hap, I liked this slaw recipe.  But I added some Miracle Whip to it, to make it creamier.  I made it a day ahead of time though.  Felt it was better day 2.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • Hapster - y'all be safe during this storm! Sounds like a VERY bad one. At least we know you won't starve ... Ya might freeze, but it will be with a fully belly. You and yours be safe. :)
    ·

Hapster - y'all be safe during this storm! Sounds like a VERY bad one. At least we know you won't starve ... Ya might freeze, but it will be with a fully belly. You and yours be safe. :)

We'll be fine... Got nothing but sun and a cold wind. Zippo on the snow.

The IT hit 185 and I opened the vents a little to get me to 200 and then FTC. The dome is now 275 and the IT is 193. I want to get it in cooler before I have to go watch my nephew in the semis for bball.
    ·
    Just finishing up and about to FTC it.., about 13 hours. Went quicker than I thought. Might be time to recalibrate the dome thermo

image.jpg 62.8K
    ·
  • do you recalibrate every so often?? my last clean burn i walked away and it read 200.... so i guess thats about 1100 for real

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • hapster said:
    Brisket looks great man! 

Well.., still jealous. Hope your wife stays safe and has power.
    Thanks.......She's doing fine. A bit weary from clearing snow from driveway and around the chicken coop, but still have power and the storm is letting up finally.

Looking forward to some finished brisket pics though!
    ·
    Ready for the FTC...
    image.jpg 747.5K
    ·
  • KempyKempy Posts: 186
    hapster said:
    Ready for the FTC... image
    Looks great!
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Wow! Now that is some serious bark! Looking forward to seeing it sliced and hearing how you liked it.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • I hate it when I hear this on food network, but man that brisket is SEXY

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • Lookin good, and no visible snow in your pic so I guess the worst missed you!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,227
    Looks great-I'm sure it will taste the same.  Thanks for the play-by-play of the journey!  Figure you've got "somewhere north of a half bottle of Double Oaked" to enjoy as well!
    Louisville
    ·
  • Bark looks awesome.....hope it turns out as well as it looks!
    ·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 432
    Silly question, FTC, Foil _ _? Again thanks for the play by play
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·