Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Snowstorm Cook...

Such as it is a bust so far here...

Anyway, egg is steady at about 230 and the brisket is happy. I injected it with some Herb-ox beef broth; rubbed it with olive oil, and gave it a good coating of sea salt, garlic powder, cracked black pepper, and some Tasty Licks brisket rub...

Seeing how this snow is being really lame; I don't think I'll be heading out for picture taking later.

So... I guess that means I can open that bottle of Woodford Double Oak and enjoy my first taste of that.

Here are some pics. Had to drape the meat over my rib rack to get it too fit.

image.jpg 783.6K
image.jpg 566.2K
·

Comments

• Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 615
    +1 on using the rib rack. Still need to attempt a brisket.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
    ·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,912
    Greeno55 said:
    +1 on using the rib rack. Still need to attempt a brisket.
    First one I did last year (this might be my 4th?) I cut about 8" off the flat to get it to fit LOL
    ·
  • Before the Woodford kicks in what are you using for the smoke?  Have a great cook Hap and stay safe.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • Did you soak the chips in snow???  :-/
    ·
    What do you mean "before the Woodford kicks in"? What? You don't think I can say "Goddamn MF'in hickory, that's who!"

Thanks @Scottborasjr... I always do my best to stay safe. If I'm going to drink like an adult, I should at least act like one ;)

·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,618
    Looking good Hapster looks like an 18 hour cook in progress. Can't wait to see the finish.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
    JRWhitee said:
    Looking good Hapster looks like an 18 hour cook in progress. Can't wait to see the finish.

I am figuring that it should be at least that at 225 to 250 dome... hope this one is good :)

·
    hapster said:
    JRWhitee said:

I am figuring that it should be at least that at 225 to 250 dome... hope this one is good :)

I have faith in you my friend.

Johns Creek, Georgia

·
    About to crack the Double Oak and fire up a new stick...a San Cristobal Papagayo XXL - 6 x 60

Thoughts on both later :)
    ·
  • I'm so jealous, I have to work in the morning so no Double Oak or fine cigars for me.
    :(( Enjoy!!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • Looks like a good piece of meat. Are you going to do any burnt ends? Glad you have the Woodford to keep you warm.
    ·
    danjamd said:

Looks like a good piece of meat. Are you going to do any burnt ends? Glad you have the Woodford to keep you warm.

Never did ends yet.. Might have too this time.
    ·

I'm so jealous, I have to work in the morning so no Double Oak or fine cigars for me.

Thanks!!!

Here's a preview :)

image.jpg 655.9K
    ·
  • Looking good bud. Glad to see you smokin.... Meat that is.

What was the raw weight on the packer? Just curious cause I have a large and that rib rack

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • hapster said:
    I'm so jealous, I have to work in the morning so no Double Oak or fine cigars for me.
    Thanks!!! Here's a preview :) imageMighty fine looking Hapster. Enjoy your evening
    ·
    Thank you @smokesniffer

@MrCookingNurse... It was just a hair over 12 pounds. After several hours and some shrinkage (the brisket not me) I'll probably take the rack out.

Eggs been holding pretty steady at 230 for almost 3 hours now.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,411
    @Hapster-looking forward to your take on the Double Oaked-it has displaced the Van Winkle's 12 and 15 year old for me.  But to each his own...regardless, looks like a great cook and evening-and if the weather gods give you a pass then so much the better! 
    Louisville
    ·
    lousubcap said:

@Hapster-looking forward to your take on the Double Oaked-it has displaced the Van Winkle's 12 and 15 year old for me.  But to each his own...regardless, looks like a great cook and evening-and if the weather gods give you a pass then so much the better! 

Thanks Cap! I have to say its pretty good. Has a slightly heavier mouth feel if that makes sense, and a deeper, warmer finish. Me like...

The stick so far in the first 3rd is nice and smooth and compliments the bourbon nicely.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,411
    Just poured a glass (on two rocks).  Glad it's passing the initial taste test for you-you will have a great night and when the brisket hits the finish-line life will be that much better.  Sure wish packers were easily available in the land of Kentucky Jelly! 
    Louisville
    ·
  • That's prolly the only "meat shrinkage" that could be positive. It's a game changer any other day!

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
    I have it on 3 stones. This brisket smells better than anything else I've done so far... Amazing
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,945
    Ya gotta do burnt ends, bro. They're addictive.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    The dome is at 250 steady in the high winds. IT is now 150... Stall should be hitting anytime
    ·
  • BrowninggoldBrowninggold Posts: 453
    edited February 2013
    Great looking cook @hapster. Thanks for the mini review of the doubled oak. I have a bottle arriving Wednesday to my local go to place.
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,644
    Hap, are you napping? You haven't posted since 1am. I need a progress update.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
    Not napping... Slept like a baby and slept in till 8am. Went out to check the egg; temp still pegged on 230 despite the howling wind and no gasket. The IT is at 179. No idea if I'm in the stall, through it, or it never happened.

Question; when should I pull it for the FTC portion?

Here's an update picimage
    image.jpg 929.9K
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,524
    JRWhitee said:
    I woke up this morning and went out to check the brisket then suddenly realized I wasn't cooking a brisket, Hapster was... :))

Too funny.  !!!

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
    Maybe Hapster finished that bottle of Woodford.

Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    edited February 2013
    @hapster i pull mine @200/205 internal when the a poker goes into it like melted better its done looks awesome i got the sides just tell me what time 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·