Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Thighs and a confession (pics)

Options
NecessaryIndulg
NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
edited February 2013 in Poultry

Our dinner the other night was quick, easy, and delicious -- Boneless skinless chicken thighs, cooked raised direct.

I washed & dried the thighs, sprinkled them with Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, and tossed them on:

BBQ Chicken Thighs

After several minutes I flipped them:

BBQ Chicken Thighs

BBQ Chicken Thighs

When I saw the juices running clear, I mopped on Sticky Fingers Caroline Classic sauce:

BBQ Chicken Thighs
BBQ Chicken Thighs

Flipped and sauced the other side:

BBQ Chicken Thighs

And then I closed the cooker up and let them dwell for about 5 minutes (or however long it took me to set the table and get another beer).

They were super!

BBQ Chicken Thighs

Really juicy and I loved the creole seasoning with the mustard BBQ sauce:

BBQ Chicken Thighs

I know I was lazy and a bad food blogger for not making my own sauce/rub, but after a long day at work this was exactly what I needed -- quick & easy.

Temp? Ummm, well, here is the confession part. I don't have any idea.

Broken

It reads the same whether it's cold or 1000F. I need to fix this, I know how, but I haven't. I've been cooking "blind" for many months now.

Whew! Glad I got that off my chest... ;)
I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2013
    Options

"True Confessions of a Seriel Egger", starring Kristi...

Good to see a post from you, Kristi! Looks great as always. A seasoned eggspert like you doesn't need a thermometer. Cooking by feel... Well done.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks good, Kristi. More impressive that you did it without any idea what the temp was. Like old skool bbq before we used thermometers and fancy gadgets. Try using Dizzy Pigs Swamp Venom in place of Tony's.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options

Temp? Ummm, well, here is the confession part. I don't have any idea.
    It reads the same whether it's cold or 1000F. I need to fix this, I know how, but I haven't. I've been cooking "blind" for many months now.

Whew! Glad I got that off my chest... ;)
    When I grill I really almost always do it by the seat of my pants, only worry about temperature when doing low and slow.  Your results certainly don't look as if a thermometer could have improved on the results.

Gerhard
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks darn good!  I'm a big fan of quick n easy as well.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Great cook as always-and glad to see that you don't let a sticking thermo interfere.  Did you cook those at "regular" height or raised grid?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Nice chicken.  Commercial rubs and sauces are always good in a pinch.

I'm always placing my hand on the egg, feeling the ceramic temp at different cooking temps 250, 350, 550, etc.  By feel, you get a pretty good idea what the general temp is.  Couldn't do that with the Weeber.  It is how I discovered my thermometer was over 100 degrees off when doing a rib cook.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    They look great, nothing wrong with shortcuts!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Looking good! I like Sticky Fingers sauces.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    @lousubcap -- I cooked them direct and raised with firebricks. 

I rarely check time/temp or measure but mainly because that's how I learned to cook/grill.  My first grill was a smokey-joe-look-alike in my early 20's.  I didn't have much choice on that little girl. :D

I really should pay more attention tho' so I can be a little more help to those who don't cook like that.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Easy can never be over rated!  You throw quick into the mix and you really got something there.  Nice cook!
    Flint, Michigan
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    I'm with you.  Who needs thermometers?  They are soooo distracting.  I put duct tape over mine.  Threw away my timers and watch too.  I'll turn the chicken when I feel like it.  Maybe during the next commercial...maybe not.  Depends on my mood.  I have never felt so free in all my life!

Living Large and XL

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited February 2013
    Options

Ha Ha Ha!  Thermometers?  We Don't Need No Stinkin' Thermometers!

Flint, Michigan
  • jccbone62
    Options
    Nice cook. Looks amazing.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Boneless skinless chicken thighs have been THE staple at our house for years, pre-dating our BGE, too. Costco sells six packs that we load into the freezer and draw out as desired, usually 2-3 every two weeks depending. What works well for us is to thaw them, put them in a big baggie with Italian dressing in the refrigerator overnight, and then grill them raised direct at 350-400F dome until 160F or so internal. If you don't thaw and marinade overnight then just thaw in a bucket of water while the egg is coming up and throw on your favorite rub. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Same as Steve above. Love the Costco packs.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    I was turned off by dark chicken meat many years ago, but I'm trying this very soon. Looks great!!!
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    Nice cook as always =D>
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm still a newbie to the BGE.  When you say "raised direct", what exactly does that mean?  I understand the direct part, but are you using something to get the grate higher in the egg (other than the normal resting spot)?  

BTW, those thighs look fantastic.  The OP has inspired me to try them this week.  

Thanks!!!!!!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Raised as in raise the grate. Use beer cans, bolts, or aftermarket equipment (e.g. adjustable rig by Ceramic Grill Store). Get's you up high in the dome and away from the coals, which makes for a nice option for certain cooks.
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Options
    Thanks, Steve.  I've been checking out the AR from Ceramic Grill Store.  Looks pretty sweet. 
  • 1429trucker
    Options
    Only thing left to say is "Dang those were some pretty thighs!!"
  • ashivers40
    Options
    This looks GREAT! What a great idea with boneless skinless thighs. Never heard of it till now. Thighs are so juicy.

Did you have to get these specially cut by request? I can't recall ever seeing boneless skinless thighs in the grocery.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    Fine looking results.  I too do not use a thermometer during grilling.  Timing is my prime indicator then they way things looks.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    ashivers40-- My local grocery store (Publix) has them next to the bone-in thighs with skin.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    This looks GREAT! What a great idea with boneless skinless thighs. Never heard of it till now. Thighs are so juicy. Did you have to get these specially cut by request? I can't recall ever seeing boneless skinless thighs in the grocery.

Costco sells them.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    As always another fine job on the cook. We do a lot of chicken in my house. Swamp venom or salt, pepper, garlic or some kinda sauce.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• ashivers40
    Options

ashivers40-- My local grocery store (Publix) has them next to the bone-in thighs with skin.

You inspired me! I went to Publix last night and picked up some boneless skinless thighs for the first time. Turned out great! Of course, I had to throw on a few boneless skinless breasts because I just can't get my wife to eat dark meat.
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    Looks great Kristi. My gauge did the same thing shortly after taking delivery. I called the distributor I bought my egg from and 2 days later, there was a replacement at the door. Might be worth a call to your dealer or the mother ship....
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    @ashivers40 - YUM!  those look realllllly good!
    I cooked them again last night, too... with green beans on the top swing rack. 
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    I go through a big can of Tony's every few months in our home. Great on so many things and in recipes.