Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almost there - wok seasoning with flaxseed oil

ready to go in for round three of 6.

thanks to this posting

Comments

• just waiting for my spider - crossing my fingers it comes today. 
  • Looks good. I did two coats of flax seed oil on my new wok last week. Only did two cause I was in a hurry to use it!

Spider from CGS works perfectly with a 16" round bottom wok on a large egg.
  • AleBrewer said:
    Looks good. I did two coats of flax seed oil on my new wok last week. Only did two cause I was in a hurry to use it!

Spider from CGS works perfectly with a 16" round bottom wok on a large egg.
    Yeah - I forgot to order the spider - so the wok got here a few days early. Gives me time to really season this sucker well before the first wok cook in the egg. I am excited.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Flaxseed oil is the same as linseed oil.  It's also used as a paint base because it polymerizes well.  Make sure you wipe all the excess off or you'll get runs that'll harden like epoxy. 

IMO, it's the best oil for seasoning - not because I'm a seasoned seasoner (I have used it and other oils though), but because it makes sense to my chemist-brain.  Read some compelling articles about the durability of flaxseed seasoning that impressed me.

I just heat my oven to 550F, leave it there.  Clean off factory oil, dry, bake in oven.  Coat with flaxseed, wipe clean, bake for 10 minutes (carbon steel heats up fast).  Pull out, let cool.   Repeat 2-6 times.

If you're gonna do wok hei, you're gonna burn off some of your seasoning, or at least I did.  No worries. 

• jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    edited February 2013
    Flaxseed oil is the same as linseed oil.  It's also used as a paint base because it polymerizes well.  Make sure you wipe all the excess off or you'll get runs that'll harden like epoxy. 

IMO, it's the best oil for seasoning - not because I'm a seasoned seasoner (I have used it and other oils though), but because it makes sense to my chemist-brain.  Read some compelling articles about the durability of flaxseed seasoning that impressed me.

I just heat my oven to 550F, leave it there.  Clean off factory oil, dry, bake in oven.  Coat with flaxseed, wipe clean, bake for 10 minutes (carbon steel heats up fast).  Pull out, let cool.   Repeat 2-6 times.

If you're gonna do wok hei, you're gonna burn off some of your seasoning, or at least I did.  No worries. 
    ok - googled wok hei. Get the wok smoking (hence burning off some seasoning)...and then add oil and other ingredients 15 seconds later.

do you go legs up or legs down on your spider? What do you do to keep a good seasoning on the wok? Do you use infrared thermo to figure when your wok is ready for cooking?

Thanks for the help...branching out on my egging. :)
  • I use the spider "legs down" so to speak. Seems to just fit better that way.

I did burn off some of the seasoning on the wok during my first cook. After cleaning it with only water, I dried it off and set on stove top to dry/heat up. Rubbed a bit more oil on it and hung it up.

I did fry up a bunch of Chinese chives in it before I did my first stir-fry.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Nice. I'm jealous. I'm getting one in the spring, too cold here now.
  • sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Hope your seasoning lasts longer than mine did. Started coming off on first cook.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I use a crawfish boiler setup.  Propane gig.  I upgraded the regulator and can get around 150-200K btu, or as low as I want.