Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multiple Butts

I've had 3 Boston butts on since last night. 2 are around 8lbs each and the other is just shy of 7 lbs. obviously, they are all going to cook different and co e off at different times. But the larger butts are at 175 internal now, and the smaller one is hitting 200. Should I go ahead and pull off the smaller one and FTC, and crank up the heat a little on the other two? Do you always pull off right at 200 degrees internal?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited February 2013
    I start testing the butts for fork tenderness around 195 IT. Or if bone-in you can see if it slides out without resistence. I would check the small one, then FTC it until others are done. Yes, you can crank up the heat some to get it through the stall.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Post pics of your setup before you pull the small one...
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Here you go.
    Athens, GA
  • Chubbs
    Beeeyoooteeful, @Mayberry. Safe travels today.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Those look great! Is the one in the back of the Egg the Small one?
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mayberry
    Yep.....it's ready, and the others are in the stall. I'm about to pull off the one in the back and rearrange the other two. I hope they're good.
    Athens, GA
  • R2Egg2Q
    They sure look good! I'd suggest putting the biggest one towards the back on multi butt cooks as Eggs typically run a little hotter in the back. This could help offset the time difference a little assuming they co-operate and cook like you expect them to. :D
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mayberry
    This is only my 2nd attempt at cooking more than one butt at a time. With 3 butts totaling 23 lbs ( 8,8,7 lbs), I'm assuming the total cook time will be around 2 hrs per pound of the largest butt, correct? Even being pushed together like they are, they're still individual pieces of meat, and a full grid shouldn't lengthen the cook time, should it? The small one is off now, and the larger ones are still at 178 internal. I'm hoping they don't decide to hit a stall now.....that would suck and ruin my whole day.
    Athens, GA
  • Remember opening and closing the egg will really extend the cooking time of these butts. Two things you can do.  Don't know what your setpoint temperature is, but it can be increased as high as 375 degrees.  Second, you could pull them and wrap them in foil, then back on the grill.  This will basically do way with the "stall" time.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great! No they should cook like your just doing one, but they all can be ready at different times, like you see with the smaller one. What temp are you cooking at now? 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mayberry
    250 dome, 280 grate temp
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    It seems to be moving along now, though. I'm at 183 internal on the largest one, so it's heading north, albeit slowly.
    Athens, GA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    You might bump it up to around 300° to help finish the last two. Thats what I had to do when I made two last time. Pulled Pork one day / Carnitas the next
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mayberry
    Two birds with one stone. The other butts just came off the grill, and I decided to go ahead and blow heat directly from my shop vac into the bottom vent to get the heat up. I put all my accessories and the daisywheel back in to do a clean burn and it's blowing away at 1200° now. Stinks like high Heaven, but just took a peek and everything is clean and white, just like people have said. I can already tell that my gasket is completely fried, though. That's probably what the smell is. About to shut her down and head out of town. Looking forward to a crisp, new clean Egg when I get back home. Thanks to all of you for your help. Have a great weekend.
    Athens, GA
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    You may want to put something between the lid and the base. If you did in fact nuke your gasket, you don't want to shut your egg and have it dry and lock shut.  Just a thought.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• R2Egg2Q
    After that clean up burn I think you'll want to reseason your DFMT soon so it doesn't rust on you.

Bay Area, CA