Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice on a london broil

Options
looking for suggestion on a london broil...do i cook it hot and fast..."broil" or should i treat it more like a roast.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I have cooked it on the Egg and it does come out better than the gasser it still tastes like London Broil and has the same texture.  I did it at 350 direct raised.   From what I have read there is not much you can do to make a london broil into a great cook.

Garnerville, NY
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    When in doubt on a meat, I recommend to do reverse sear. Cook relatively low and slow (250-300) until close to desired internal temp.  Then heat up egg and quick sear on both/all sides.
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    Sounds good guys thanks for the help, any thoughts a smoking this meat, of just cook it and be done with it?
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    edited February 2013
    Options

I sear and then just cook direct @ 400 until desired internal temperature is reached. For me that's the best way.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    EggRacer said:

I sear and then just cook direct @ 400 until desired internal temperature is reached. For me that's the best way.
    + 1...Just like cooking a steak.

Opelika, Alabama
  • JJRod305
    Options

I posted this back in January:

I decided to try a London Broil, but done with indirect heat, not grilled. It was simple and terrific. Here is how I did it:

1. Rubbed the meat (2 pieces of 3 pounds each) with olive oil and Sazon Completa de Badia (a cuban dry spice). I did not have time to marinate overnight, although I may try that next time.

2. Fired up the BGE, and mixed in apple wood chunks as well as chips (to create smoke). Used the plate setter for indirect heating rather than grilling.

3. Cooked at an average temp of 275 degrees for 1 hour and 30 mins (30 mins per pound). Removed the meat when internal temp was 130 degrees. Next time I may try a lower temperature, so I can cook it longer.

4. Wrapped in tin foil and let sit for 30 mins. Sliced across the grain and thinly as possible.

It was delicious. Tasted like a smoked brisket, but the meat was more tender. An easy alternative to brisket.

Good Luck!

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    @jjrod...great description, at first I was thinking of treating it as a steak, I may have to give your method a shot.

@eggracer great pic and your method sounds good also.

Thanks all
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Just wrote "London Broil" on my grocery list -- i gotta try that method !!