Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

;( out of lump

Well, my winter stash of RO is all gone. Do I try cowboys from lowes? Or order WGWW to the ace that is about an hour away? Or cave and buy a bag of over priced BGE from my stealership.

I've been scavenging for bags of lump when I'm out and about and haven't found anything. Heard bad things about cowboy.

XLBGE 

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Well, my winter stash of RO is all gone. Do I try cowboys from lowes? Or order WGWW to the ace that is about an hour away? Or cave and buy a bag of over priced BGE from my stealership. I've been scavenging for bags of lump when I'm out and about and haven't found anything. Heard bad things about cowboy.
    Cowboy is certainly not top shelf. I will be honest with you though. I prefer Cowboy to the last few batches of RO I have gotten. Others in my area agree the last bit of RO we have gotten has been terrible. Place an order WGWW and then get a few bags of other stuff to tide you over. Guessing you cant find anymore RO? You are safe with BGE at least. If you see Nature Glo, snatch that up.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I don't know if you have a Winn Dixie around but I have been using their brand and I am pleased. Pretty cheap also
  • Not sure where you are located, but if you have Menards in your area, they carry green bag RO which is about all I use. Otherwise, I go to the Kroger grocery store and buy their store brand which is fairly decent stuff. I'm not a big WGWW fan but that's just me.
  • I haven't seen any at our Kroger. Win Dixie is now a southern family market. I'll check Kroger better next time. I'll place a WGWW order and grab it next time I'm close to the ace.

Might give in to the BGE price if I start going through withdrawals.

XLBGE 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    If you live in the northeast, WGWW is pretty cheap to buy direct and ships promptly.
  • TonyA said:

If you live in the northeast, WGWW is pretty cheap to buy direct and ships promptly.

Love in Mississippi. Wicked good was 48$ to ship 3 bags to me. :-t

XLBGE 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Ouch .. yeah that's not great .. for me it's just inside the price I pay at Ace.  I was also going to say - I'm not a real fan of cowboy, but really only because i found it strong flavored .. if you're inclined to have a strong smoke flavor in your cooking - you might not care - at least enough to get you through the winter.  It does burn quicker and produce more ash than WGWW or RO. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I am not crazy about Cowboy, but to be honest I would just that before I paid $20 a bag for BGE brand.  

BJ's in my area has Frontier lump which I thought was pretty good.  Perhaps one more place to check. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I tried everything and nothing preforms or tastes better the Wicked Good.  I order three bags at a time directly from Wicked Good at wickedgoodcharcoal.com.  With shipping I pay around $23 a bag. 

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• I agree with @Chubbs, i squirrelled away a few bags of RO last fall and have found every other bag to be really nasty stuff, lots of rocks and what looks like plywood and meteorites. The others have been normal good RO charcoal. Strange. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Pay attention to Ace hardware, they have specials once in a while.  Every time they do I buy 3 or 4 22# bags of wicked good charcoal.  I won't use Cowboy coal, i'm a coal snob I guess.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Stargaze said:
    Pay attention to Ace hardware, they have specials once in a while.  Every time they do I buy 3 or 4 22# bags of wicked good charcoal.  I won't use Cowboy coal, i'm a coal snob I guess.
    Nice avatar. Love Dexter.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    You could always order some from Halls Hill Lump made here in my hometown. $50/12lbs. Makes BGE look reasonable.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:

You could always order some from Halls Hill Lump made here in my hometown. $50/12lbs. Makes BGE look reasonable.

Nice. Ha

Think I get an initial discount if I get an ace rewards account.

XLBGE 
  • I'm in the Jackson area and our Kroger has plenty of Kroger Brand (RO).  Walmart also has plenty of RO.  I tried the Wicked Good and really like it.  It is hard to start but has a very clean smell to it.
  • banjoman said:

I'm in the Jackson area and our Kroger has plenty of Kroger Brand (RO).  Walmart also has plenty of RO.  I tried the Wicked Good and really like it.  It is hard to start but has a very clean smell to it.

Your Walmart still has RO?? Wow mine stopped back in November or before. I haven't seen the Kroger everyone is talking about. Gonna looks again.

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Try B&B lump. Pretty good stuff at a reasonable price.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Traveling through Arkansas I scored 20 bags off Ozark Oak. Imho great stuff. .50 cents lb. Burns clean, easy start and works well with slow or fast cooks.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • What city are you in Nurse??
  • @banjoman
    I'm in Columbus, 15 min from Starkville

XLBGE 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I just ordered 4 forty pound bags of Humphreys - $152 for 160 pounds delivered.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• sola
    sola Posts: 118

banjoman said:

I'm in the Jackson area and our Kroger has plenty of Kroger Brand (RO).  Walmart also has plenty of RO.  I tried the Wicked Good and really like it.  It is hard to start but has a very clean smell to it.

Your Walmart still has RO?? Wow mine stopped back in November or before. I haven't seen the Kroger everyone is talking about. Gonna looks again.
    Your local Walmart should have the spring garden center set. I am fully stocked with RO right now.
  • Other than Royal Oak, I've used B&B (found at Academy and now at WalMart) and Best of The West (Sam's).. B&B seemed to be better than the Best of the West, which was really sparky.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • @mrcookingnurse I have a friend who's a preacher in Columbus.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've had sparking problems w. Frontier all the time, RO the last few bags, and Cowboy sometimes over the last year. Try the Cowboy. If it sparks a lot,  put a layer of some "natural" briquettes over it. The briquettes and their ash will keep any sparks down, and should not produce enough ash to clog the vent holes.

I was nervous the other day, was down to about 88 lbs of lump. Bought the last 3 bags of RO I found in the back of Wally's garden center.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I live on the wild side. I am cruising with just under 50 lbs right now.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I was reading the Engrish instructions that came with a Chinese power supply a while back:

"Sparking is badness!"

Same goes with lump.
    I live on the wild side. I am cruising with just under 50 lbs right now.
    Good lord, man! You're close to only being able to do 400 lbs of ribs. Think of the children when you are NL (No Lump!)

:))
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    I've still got 60 lbs of cowboy, but for some reason since I've been using Cowboy lump it takes longer to get to temp and it doesn't seem to burn very hot. I keep it in the original bags in my garage and I'm wondering if the humidity common here on the bayou might be the problem.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.