Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Wings Temperature and Time

I'm looking to do a few dozen wings on my MBGE tomorrow and curious what temp and for how long.  I will be using the plate setter legs up, but not sure if I'll do a pan, or directly on the grate?

Thanks!
Big Green Egg is Life, the rest is just details.

Comments

• psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    Just did some for the SB ..... 350 indirect for about 1hour
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I do direct at 375/400 raised about 45 min
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited February 2013
     Many people go direct on the grate with great results. 

Personally, I love to do my wings 300-350 indirect on the grate (platesetter legs up) for 1.5 hours. I season them before cooking and when they're finished, I toss them in Franks/butter/honey mixture and put them back on the BGE for some caramelization. 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    350 indirect for an hour, coated with olive oil and some Memphis Dust. Tossed them in Franks afterwards and served.
    A friend of mine stated they were better than Anchor Bar. I called BS on that one because I accused them of wanting me to make more.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Hard to overcook wings, unless you are Mickey, go for a nap and come back to home made chicken flavoured lump!

350, indirect, use a drip pan under the grid, wings on the grid. Enjoy.
    I get about 40 on my MBGE. (drummers and flappers)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118

Personally, I love to do my wings 300-350 indirect on the grate (platesetter legs up) for 1.5 hours. I season them before cooking and when they're finished, I toss them in Franks/butter/honey mixture and put them back on the BGE for some caramelization. 
    @JerkChicken what is the ratio of the Franks/butter/honey mixture.  TIA
  • REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63

On Super Bowl Sunday I did wings indirect at 400 for about 40 minutes (there was a temp spike once around 450 for awhile). I used an adjustable rig and extender, so the wings were pretty high up in the dome.  I did also use a bit of cornstarch to make em a bit crispier. Dipped in sauce last few minutes and back in the egg. Result:  Best wings I've had in a loooong time.  Crispy skin, good flavor, juicy well cooked meat inside. I dont think I'll ever need to go to the local wing restaurants anymore. Family loved em too.

• Mickey
    Hard to overcook wings, unless you are Mickey, go for a nap and come back to home made chicken flavoured lump!

350, indirect, use a drip pan under the grid, wings on the grid. Enjoy.
    I get about 40 on my MBGE. (drummers and flappers)

Overcooked Wings or Lump on the grill.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    What do you mean by raised?  Sorry, first year with my BGE.
  • I appreciate all the love, everyone!  Looks like the concensus is 350, indirect, on grate, 1 hour, sauce and return to heat and we're in Wing-Heaven!

Thanks!
  • Mickey
    ATL_Dave said:
    Mickey said:
    What do you mean by raised?  Sorry, first year with my BGE.
    Dave by raising you can buy an adj rig or use fire bricks to make the grate higher (away from the fire). I find this is much better (IMO) than indirect cooks. I cook all chicken, turkey this way direct.

• So many roads lead to great chicken wings... I do raised direct for an hour at ~350-375F. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    edited February 2013
    Duganboy said:

@JerkChicken what is the ratio of the Franks/butter/honey mixture.  TIA
    Hard to say exactly because I eyeball it and taste as I go. But I wind up using 1 regular sized bottle of Franks, about half a stick of butter, and about 4 tablespoons of honey. Tweak it to your own preference, less honey/butter makes a hotter, thinner sauce and visa versa. Lately, before adding the sauce/butter/honey, I saute' 5 or six chopped cloves of garlic in a pad of butter, then proceed with the rest. It's garlic buffalo wings and it is freakin unreal. Best wings I've ever had and I am a serious wing-head.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I do my wings direct at 400 and turn and rotate them around every four minutes, for a total time of about 20 minutes.

Tim
  • Yea, like ratcheer suggested, turning and flipping periodically is a must with wings or they'll burn.
  • I guess I'm lazy but I do mine indirect at 325 for an hour and never have to turn them.
    Always get nice crispy skin and juicy meat

As you can see there are lots of ways to do them and none of them are wrong. Many roads lead to the same destination!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Yea, like ratcheer suggested, turning and flipping periodically is a must with wings or they'll burn.
    I agree with you if you cook direct. If indirect, the heat can be as high as 450 without burning - they will char, but not burn, and you don't have to put down your drink to flip them.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
    I agree with you if you cook direct. If indirect, the heat can be as high as 450 without burning - they will char, but not burn, and you don't have to put down your drink to flip them.
    this - this I like...not having to put down your beer is the key to any cook
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited February 2013
    That is why we have two hands!

EDIT: in case this comment appears twice, I just got a PAA message. I think I used "2" instead of "two" in that one. Apparently, We must utilize APA format for comments.
  • That is why we have two hands!

EDIT: in case this comment appears twice, I just got a PAA message. I think I used "2" instead of "two" in that one. Apparently, We must utilize APA format for comments.
    Exactly, one for the glass, one for the bottle - nothing left to open domes, grab tongs, flip wings that are hard to catch on the grid - it is all so confusing, I just prefer to set it and forget it. 

I go indirect 350 and the outter most wings will definitely burn if I don't do some turning and flipping halfway through the cook. Maybe it's because I am doing usually around 70 (seperated) wings at a time on the AR. But even with the platesetter the fire creeps around the sides and cooks items on the outter sides of the grate considerably faster than the center.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    TUTTLE871 said:
    350 indirect for an hour, coated with olive oil and some Memphis Dust. Tossed them in Franks afterwards and served. A friend of mine stated they were better than Anchor Bar. I called BS on that one because I accused them of wanting me to make more.
    Do you live in Buffalo?  I tried Anchor Bar when I was passing through and was not impressed.  Now Elmo's... THEY know how to make some Buffalo Wings!
  • Do you thaw  the wings first or do you cook them frozen?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I thaw and if thinking far enough in advance, leave them uncovered in the fridge overnight-helps dry them out.  Just one method-FWIW.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.