Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oklahoma EGGFEST?!?

I was just wondering if anyone knows why there isn't a eggfest in Oklahoma City anymore. From digging through the archives it seems as if it had always been a good time. The dealer I bought my large and get spices/ recipe tips from used to sponsor it so I probably should just ask them but I thought I would send it out to the forum first. From the youtube videos I see that carwash mike was a big member of the Oklahoma eggheads and is no longer with us. If that has something to do with it please let me know as I don't wish to bring up old wounds, I am a relatively new egghead, just under two years, but have been cooking outdoors for a long time now.. 

thanks
Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Oklahoma is said to have been one of the best (I never got to make it). Mike had nothing to do with it ending. I think it had to do with money or Dog just got tired of doing it. Will be glad to have you come to Salado March 16. We are on l-35 about 145 miles south of Dallas.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I think one (possibly 2) got canceled due to a burn ban. No charcoal fires were allowed at the time due to dry weather. Or maybe I just made that up in my mind, but for some reason I remember something like that.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    @Griffin, I think your 90+ hours of no booze have your brain a little foggy. Not going to lie, my head is a little cloudy this AM after some Woodford last night.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @Mickey thanks for the invite, I remember seeing the signs for it when I drove to Lackland AFB in November and it wasn't a bad drive at all. I don't think the dates are going to work for me, but if something changes I would love to check that one out. It looks like you put on quite the show. 

@Griffin that makes sense, like you guys in Texas we've had some dry, dry weather the past few years. Luckily we get our egg up and running under the radar... 
    :-\"
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    It was a fun fest,  middle meeting ground for those in the central US States.  The burn ban never stopped the fest from happening.  When Chris, Snoop Dog, ended his involvement the fest ended.  He put a lot of work into it each year and it showed.  

The owners of the store did a great job organizing it.   I believe the neighboring stores complained about parking issues and loss of business.  I guess between Chris hanging it up and the complaints, the simple conclusion was to end the fest. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @tjv I guess I will have to make it down to Texas sometime this year if I can't make it for Salado. There has only been more strip malls pop up around that store so there might not even be room around there anymore. 

Thanks for all the info. If I had only gotten my egg "sooner"  
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    you have salado in march, austin in april, athens in may and wichita falls & texarkana in the fall. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Here is a link to what was the Oklahoma Eggfest. http://www.okeggfest.com/