Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Postictal Pit Beef

FockerFocker Posts: 1,474
edited February 2013 in EggHead Forum

Strolling through Schnucks in the condiment isle on a horseradish hunt.  A guy about my age next bay over and just in the peripheral, slides down leaned against the shelves, having a tonic clonic seizure.  Help guide him to the floor and turn him on his side.  Yell to the employee to call 911.  Seizure lasted 2 minutes.  By this time, about every employee is swarmed around us.  Tactfully instruct everyone to step back.  Guy is groggy, a little confused, but stable.  Quick report a short time later to the paramedic and as I walk through the group of associates back to my cart, "Can I please be directed to the horseradish?"  Found out I was in the wrong aisle and it is refrigerated.  lol  

Big thanks to Griffin, Eggcelsior and others who replied to the recent pit beef threads.  Love Raichlen, but cringe whenever I see paprika in a rub.  Used a beef rub I made some time back for a chuck roast cook.  Decided to go with Eggcelsior's 1C horseradish recommendation.  For a QC touch omitted the dry mustard, added 1T of Boetje's stone ground mustard for some extra kick.  Bottom round was on sale for $2.99/lb.  Studded with some garlic.

Egged raised direct starting out at 260, climbing up to 320 until 113.  Then went wide open with the egg at the end.  Rye, white onions, tiger sauce.....so good.  

Finally finessed the Hobart and got her purring like a kitten, no guard rub.  Washers didn't work, so I had to resort to the old hammer, punch, and bench vise.  Sharpening guy removed the nicks and created a nice new edge.  Had to take it a step further manually sharpening with the 3K, 5K, and 10K Chosera wetstones....scary sharp.  Took about an hour.  Pulled the MSDS for Hobart Slicer Oil and found it's compositon to be mineral oil.  Similar to the "butcher block oil" marketing.  Glides almost effortlessly with the touch of a finger. 

In all seriousness, seizures appear frightening.  Here are a few basic tips to help if you witness one in public.  It helped me today.

1.  Stay calm.

2.  Remove person from any potential harm, place on their side and maintain airway.

3.  Get help, have someone call 911.

4.  Monitor breathing, circulation.  Do not put anything in the mouth.  Ride the seizure out, monitor.

5.  Reorient as seizure subsides and person regains consciousness.

Brandon
Quad Cities
"The most important ingredient in cooking is restraint."--Chris Bianco

Comments