Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a great Labor Day and are excited for the start of the NFL this week. If you’re not a sports fan, you can celebrate National Breakfast Month all September and National Cheese Pizza Day on September 5. We can’t wait to share some awesome fall recipes with you all! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

BGE digital thermometer from Maverick

Anyone have one?  I picked one up from my local dealer assuming it would be pretty similar to thermapen.  Maybe it is, I don`t know but I have used it once and am not impressed.  I calibrated it in boiling water and it is dead on.  Used it tonight on some steak.  First, there is nothing instant about it.  Probed one steak and it started out at 98 and slowly climbed to 157 degrees. So slowly that I had to switch hands holding it as the heat from the coal was too much to tolerate.  When I cut into the steak after resting, it was medium rare at most. Not sure if it was picking up heat from the grill or what was going on.  

How do the thermapens work?  Any better?  Do you think there is any chance my dealer will take it back?  Perhaps I am using it wrong?  Thanks.

Comments