Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slicing Turkey Breast ?s

I've got a turkey breast I'm planning on cooking up this weekend for the sole purpose of making sandwiches. Which direction is the best way to slice them? Say the turkey is standing straight up, would you slice from neck down? Or left to right? Or does is even matter? Thanks in advance.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• I saw on a cooking show once where you lay the bird down (breast up), slice downward along the breast bone and then horizontally from top to bottom making the slices as thick as you like. Repeat on other side. That's how I've done it and it works well for me.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    After taking it off the bones, cut against the grain, or across the bird, not from front to back. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • I remove each breast half first (knife down the breast bone and then under) then slice across.  Then I pick any remaining meat from the carcass too.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    If it's a whole turkey breast you'll need to get the wishbone out first, then take your boning knife and from head to tail slice along the sternum, keeping as close to the bone as you can, until one half breast is separated from the bone. Then when you have a boneless breast I would tke my slicing knife and cut 90deg to the grain which would be 90deg to the sternum if it was still attached. Hope this helps.  
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser