Hello all! I'm an avid smoker from KC and my primary experience has been on the WSM for the past few years. My large BGE is being delivered today and I'm excited to get started on it but I have some questions for anyone who might want to point me in the right direction on some or all of these.
I will say that I've lurked this forum for a couple weeks to try to learn some basics but there are a few things I'm still not sure of:
1. Plate setter - I've read some say feet up or feet down - in which circumstances would I choose one or the other?
2. Smoke - I've read you should wait until the smoke out of the top is clear before starting. I am confused on this because I always had smoke rolling out of my WSM from my wood chunks. When/how should I get the wood chunks in the BGE after the clear smoke? Or does it matter when doing long low and slow cooks?
3. Wood - I'm a bit nervous about this because in my WSM I was used to adding more wood at various intervals but it appears with the setup of the egg, once things get going I'm not going to be able to add more wood onto the fire because of the grill grate and plate setter. Is this right? Will this hurt my smoke flavor?
4. I've read we only want lump coal in there. Do you guys only use the BGE brand? If not, what should I look for when buying lump coal?
5. When grilling, do you always use the cast iron grate or sometimes the standard? Which circumstances are best for each?
My apologies for all of the questions right out of the gate but thanks for any help/tips/links on these topics.