Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Helper

My bacon is finally smoking with a little assistance :-)

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Lynnwood WA

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Nice!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Going on 6 1/2 hrs and my a maze n smoker is going strong! It's 9.30pm and I leave for the airport at 5am guess what I'm frying for breakfast!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Good stuff double, love seeing the little "sous chefs" get involved.  Enjoy the reward in the AM.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Is he wearing BGE boots and where can I find some?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • double
    Bogs best boots ever.

12hrs later amazen performed great and this was so worth the effort just fried up a chunk belly is lined New Orleans here we come!

Thanks for everyone help! I see a meat slicer in my future!
    Lynnwood WA
  • I like all these projects. Can't wait to try my first meat smoke, definitely a meat slicer would be the way to go!

XLBGE 
  • Double - the BEST part of this cook is that your Kid will never forget how he helped Dad, and he has a picture to prove it! Times like that are simply priceless and last a lifetime! :)
  • double
    Only problem was whenever we checked the smoke he wanted to grab the hose and put the fire out!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Chubbs

Looks good @Double! And thanks for the hint on Bogs Boots!

The only reccommendation I have (and I am admittedly a novice) is to square off the bellies prior to the cure trying to get as uniform as possible. This will become important when you go to slice it. Especially if slicing by hand. You can use the scraps to make lardons. I sliced mine by hand and once you get down to the last inch or so of the slab it becomes increasingly difficult to slice. I cubed this up as well and made lardons. I pulled a Foodsaver pack of lardons out last night and pan fried them up to go on top of a cobb salad. Delicious!

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks good! I love getting the little guys involved, I had my cousins 13 year old helping me on superbowl sunday, his mom told me he has been talking about the egg all week and hopes to do it again this weekend! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited February 2013
    Chubbs Another thing you can do is square it off after it's cured and smoked, cube up the trimmings and sprinkle with brown sugar in a disposable alum. pan, put back on the egg @ 250 for a couple of hours for pig candy.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Chubbs

billyray said:
    Chubbs Another thing you can do is square it off after it's cured and smoked, cube up the trimmings and sprinkle with brown sugar in a disposable alum. pan, put back on the egg @ 250 for a couple of hours for pig candy.
    Noted.
  • double
    Pig candy sounds so good!
    Lynnwood WA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Awwwww....that is so friggin cute I can't stand it.  Seeing that little guy get so excited about bacon makes me choke up just a little...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.