Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Green Egg information needed

First, I hope I have this in the correct place so no one yells at me. I haven't been here in quite some time. Life just gets in my way... too often!

I have a medium Green Egg, but, I would like to have a small Green Egg for taking camping with me. I would like to have measurements, and weight of a small, including all the normal parts needed just to fire it up.  Just the BBQ is all I want information on. I'd also like to know what I should expect to pay for one.  Can anyone help me?????  I'm just a "lil ol lady" who loves her Green Egg, so I hope the weight isn't out of my range. <smile> 

And, if you have never tried chicken or turkey soup made with leftover grilled chicken or  turkey, you are missing a wonderful treat. ( Leftovers?? What are those?) Even just the carcass makes a wonderful soup....  Yummmm (by the way, I have taught one of my dogs to lick her lips with the cue word "yummmm".  Too cute... and too funny!

Bonnie

Comments

• Or, is the smallest called a Mini?  If so, is there also a small?  I sure could use a comparison of the two.

Thanks everybody,

Bonnie

• The smallest is a mini, and yes....there is a small as well.

The mini would be better suited to take on camping trips. I think the small would be too heavy for a "lil ol lady" to move around by herself.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Yeah, go with the mini. You should be able to carry it. Price is around $400 depending in where you live. Mini is perfect for two person cooks. I am about to buy one myself to accompany the large. If you go camping with a handful of people, may need to pony up another $100-$150 and get the small. Carrying it is certainly doable, but obviously not as easy as mini.

Go to YouTube and search mini moments on green egg and there is a series of videos to show you size and what you can cook on a mini.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • The small is around 75 lbs with a 13 inch cooking grid.
    The mini is around 35 lbs with a 10 inch cooking grid.

In order to go indirect and smoke something you'll need another hundred dollars. BGE sells a plate setter for the small but not for the medium. You can get accessories from ceramicgrillstore.com and amazon for both eggs to go indirect.

The mini is anywhere from 350-400$
    The small I've seen from 490-590$
    Plus the hundred you'll spend going indirect with a rig and stones.

Hope this helps!

XLBGE 
  • Also, what do you want to cook at the campground?

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I would agree it sounds like the mini would be the way to go for you.  As @MrCookingNurse mentioned the small is 75 lbs and it is somewhat awkward to haul around.  For a healthy man it is no problem.  A fat out of shape man with back problems can manage :).  I think the mini is the only egg I would deem "portable".  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    I have a small and love it. I'll throw your medium in for comparison with the other two. 

Medium Small Mini
    114 lbs 77 lbs 39 lbs  Weight
    15 inch 13 inch  10 inch Grid Size   

It really depends on what you want to cook while camping and how many your cooking for.

Here is a camping post I did: Small BGE goes Camping

I've made a 9 pound turkey in my small, and plan on doing a small brisket soon. I also got a eggCARTen to help carry the small since it can be slightly awkward to carry by yourself. It makes it easier by yourself and very easy with two people. 

The eggCARTen was actually created by @Mawger son because they needed a safe way of transporting their small egg while camping in a fifth wheel. (He does make them for the Mini as well) 

I know people love their Mini Big Green Eggs and have been showing amazing pictures of all the cooks you can do on them. I just have a small and am happy with my purchase. Camping with a big green egg makes for good times and a easy way to meet the neighbors! 

Oh and I got a "fair' deal on mine last september during the state fair, $475 with the nest, ash tool, and a bag of lump. Normally that would be around $600 with all the goodies. But people seem to find better deals than I see in Oklahoma. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

@ Solson005  Not sure where you got the 2 burgers on a Mini but this is a 1 1/2 lb of beef I did.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited February 2013
    @Mickey I was just using the chart from the BGE website. I will edit it..

Sorry as I said, I don't have a mini and people are showing pictures of amazing things on them. 

The picture above being one of those amazing pictures.

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2013

6 full sized BBQ'ed Legs on the Mini.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thank you  everyone for all the information... I truly appreciate your input.  I will have new "camping" facilities in a couple of months... I just ordered a new gooseneck horse trailer, so will have way more room than I had in the pickup camper. Regardless of how nice they can be, they really have their limitations. I would really love to be able to cook some protein so it is as great as at home. I guess I can say I miss the Big Green Egg. It's probably just a bit of home sickness.  :(( 

I'll check with our local Big Green Egg dealer and see what I decide. 

Though I've cooked a lot of stuff on our medium, there have been times that a large would have been really nice to have. 

Thank you again,

Bonnie