Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I D-D-DID it!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just this minute ordered from Hearthside Distributors. Large BGE. Nine in stock. Bought one. Not only did they have the best price I could find, including free delivery, but it will be here in 5 to 6 business days. Almost in time for the anniversary. I'll be able to track it from Cleveland TN, so I can be here when the truck arrives. I hope. Guess I'll be staying home a lot, waiting. [p]Now to find a platesetter, which they were out of. And what else?

Comments

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Bear Country Woman,
    I'll bet you won't regret this decision. I remember thanking my wife every time I cooked for the first two or three weeks after I got mine. I only stopped because she got tired of how often I was talking about the Egg![p]Did you get a grid lifter? That's handy. You could also pick up a remote digital thermometer, like a Maverick, which you could get any number of places.[p]A baking stone is kind of fun, but I don't use it as much as my other Eggcessories.[p]Good luck! You'll have to let us know how it goes!

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    Bear Country Woman,[p]I'm assuming it came with some basics? Grid lifter, ash tool, charcoal starters?[p]Next on the list of basics if you don't have it already:[p]Charcoal
    Wood Chunks
    Tongs
    Plate Setter
    Rubs/Spices (Dizzy Pig is great)
    Thermapen and or some form of wireless thermometer[p]
    Much more to be had but the basics will allow you to do a ton!

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Bear Country Woman,
    You can order the platesetter direct from the egg store in atlanta and it might get to you about the same time as the egg. A good instant thermometer is probably the other important piece of gear. Thermopen makes a great one.

• SmokinBoB,[p]Shucks. I did not. Here's what it comes with:
    Includes porcelain grids, Spring Assist Band, Stainless Steel Draft Doors, Temperature Guage, Dual Function Metal Top, Cookbook and Video. Just the basics, I guess. But that's what all the other places I checked online offered as well. [p]I did get the egg nest. Now are we not going to be able to use this until I get those other things, too? [p]Might be able to call back and add the others, cause I sure like that free shipping thing. [p]

• Eggtuary,[p]I don't even know what a grid lifter is. Is that the same as Grill Gripper? Do I need to get these things from a distributor, or can I pick them up elsewhere? If only we had an elsewhere where we live. We have WalMart.

• katman,[p]Everything I find on the BGE site tells me to contact my dealer. Guess I could call them, but didn't think they sold directly to anyone but distributors.

• Grillicious
    Options
    Bear Country Woman, you don't need all of those things to get started. You do need lump charcoal of course. Wood chips and tongs can be had from Walmart. As for the grid lifter, I use a flat pry bar. You don't need the plate setter right off the bat, but you will want one eventually. For indirect cooks you can get by putting a foil drip pan between the meat and the charcoal. You will need an extra grid to indirect cooks, one for the drip pan, another for the meat. Webers 18" grids work well, and can be had from any number of places that sell their kettle grills, eg. Home Depot and maybe even Walmart. Don't be overwhelmed, you're in for a great time.[p]Oh, and yes you can order accessories from the mother ship.

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Bear Country Woman,
    Yes, that's the Grill Gripper. Sorry, I've gotten used to calling it the grid lifter.[p]If you can't get accessories from Hearthside, you may have luck purchasing directly from Big Green Egg. While they only sell the Eggs through distributors, I think the rules are different for accessories.

• J Straus
    J Straus Posts: 54
    Options
    Bear Country Woman,[p]You will be able to do all kinds of things with what you have, as long as you have charcoal! I had nothing else for the first four years with my egg. The dual-function top is pretty important, and you have that covered. The nest is the one thing I wish I would have spent the money on much earlier, and you have that covered too![p]If you want to do low and slow things like ribs, pulled pork etc., then you will really want to get some oven bricks, or the plate setter. I used bricks for years before I payed to the convenience of the plate-setter. Five bricks will allow you to do indirect setup and you will want that ability (Three bricks flat, and two on end with a second grid on top.) If you can swing it, then get your hands on a plate setter, because of the convenience.
    Just ask for pictures to see this "live", and I'm sure you will get responses with links showing how these setups work![p]Justin

• Grillicious
    Options
    Bear Country Woman, J Straus has some good suggestions. You should bookmark Tne Naked Whiz site and browse through it. It's loaded with tons of useful information about all things Eggworthy. I've attached the link.

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm[/ul]
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    Bear Country Woman,[p]I think that is their typical company line however, they will ship anything they have direct to you. They are all great, ask for B.A. if he is in![p]Cheers![p]B o B
  • J Straus,[p]Once all my inquiries have aged off the bb, I'll put my husband on it. From the activity on here, it doesn't look like it takes long for posts to be archived. I'll quit for awhile when the Egg gets here. He will then decide what he wants - which will be everything you all discuss probably. Haha. [p]I'll go in search of a plate setter, and will probably have one here by the time he gets the egg assembled.
  • Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Options
    Bear Country Woman,[p]Congratulations! As a female egger, I am in the minority but we are definitely out here. Welcome to a great group. You will love your egg, no question. Don't stress about the accessories. You have way more than I did when I got mine (all I had was the egg, charcoal and ceramic cap) and I still turned out great food. If you use an electric starter, I find it very helpful to have an old piece of floor tile nearby to put it on when you take it out of the egg. It will be blisteringly hot (but it cools down quickly) so don't put it on anything you care about. You will definitely want to order rubs from Dizzypig. They are the greatest and I love my DP apron. Get some PAM spray at the food store to spray your grate for easy cleanup. I have a grill brush but sometimes just used some crumpled aluminum foil to clean the grate off. So get that lump and start cooking.[p]Barbara
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Bear Country Woman,
    Sure they sell direct. Unfortunately, most dealers I've investigated don't stock the accessories or replacement parts so if you order through them you usually have to wait for their next delivery. Egg heaven in Atlanta has shipped my orders promptly.

• Bear Country Woman, a bit of advice from someone who also just bought a large BGE from Hearthside. Call Fed Ex a couple of days before they are due to ship and make sure they have a lift gate and pallet jack on the truck, and inspect the product before they leave. Mine was broken on the first delivery attempt.

• guavawood
    guavawood Posts: 213
    Options
    Bear Country Woman,[p]
    Yeeeha! Best investment I could have made too. I radically improved my cooking skills and flavor of my food![p]Keep us posted with what you cook, any questions or problems...whatever... and bring on the pics![p]Aloha![p]Greg Kemp

• Bear Country Woman,
    Some of this may be redundant to other posts, but: I do not have a grid lifter, a plate setter or a wireless thermometer. If you get an assorment of firebricks (a couple full size, and three 'splits' [halved]), a drip pan (alum foil?), and extra grill and a chimney starter (to start charcoal) you will be in business. And for me, one of the advantages of not having all the expensive 'gadgets' is the fun in improvising with the bricks, etc.... good luck!!

• Bear Country Woman,
    I got mine eggstter from BBQ Outfitters in Austin ,Texas.
    I think Grillmiester owners this business , but could be wrong.
    Give them an e-mail or call. Nice people to work with.
    360 guy-gary

• tony,[p]I was told by John, the man who took the order, that the carrier (R&L Carriers) they're using definitely has that, and to open the carton before they leave. We shall see. Thanks for the advice.