Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

storing raw pork shoulder

Options
Bought two boneless shoulders today at Costco. I took them out of the packaging, rinsed them and tied them. I will be cooking both for dinner on saturday so I do not want to freeze them. How do you store them? Covered, uncovered? I will be applying rub thursday night.

Comments

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    Options
    I've been told by local butchers that you can store in the cryovac unfrozen for up to 14 days. Once the cryo is opened, cook in 2 days or freeze. I'd personally err on the side of caution and freeze tonight. If you're cooking on Saturday, move back to the Fridge tomorrow night and layout overnight on Friday night.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • GaryLange
    Options
    Season them vacuum seal them in bags and set them in the fridge. They will be nicely marinated when you are ready to put them on the BGE. Inject them also if you are planing to.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    GaryLange said:
    Season them vacuum seal them in bags and set them in the fridge. They will be nicely marinated when you are ready to put them on the BGE. Inject them also if you are planing to.
    i agree, its not gonna go bad in a couple of days stored at the right temp.  if no vacuum sealer you can go crazy with plastic wrap after rubbing and put them in a pan to catch any drippings.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Make sure your fridge is running properly, 40º or lower, and you should be fine, I would not be worried but it is your ass on the line.

Gerhard
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Wrap tightly with saran wrap. Oxygen is the enemy to you, friend to the minions with flagellae.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Rub salt all over it and wrap it up.  The salt will preserve the outside, which is where the bacteria are most active.  You can keep it in the fridge until Sunday, no problem.  Then rinse off the salt thoroughly and apply the rub, cook.

Salt has been used as a preservative for thousands of years - plus, you have a refrigerator that keeps the meat slightly above freezing.

Next time, leave it in the cryovac until you're ready to cook.  Freeze if you don't plan on using before the expiration date on the packaging.