Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza sourdough

Options
paulheels
paulheels Posts: 457
I have my own sourdough. Anyone got a good pizza dough recipe. I make norwich SD right now. Just need the progression of the dough for pizza after autolyse. Thanks Paul
thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    This is the pizza dough that I make, it works well for both thin crust and thicker crust pie.

Gerhard

• burntbrisket
    Options
    I tried this recipe and it came out very wet.  Not sure where I went wrong, but I just ended up add quite a bit more flour.  Gerhard - Is your version pretty wet?
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited January 2013
    Options
    It depends on your flour, some flours will take more water.  I use a hard bread flour from a local mill and find all purpose flour from the grocery store not to take as much water.   If it comes out wetter than I want I give it a 10 minute rest then do a stretch and fold, repeat it a couple of times a 15 minute intervals then portion it and put it in the fridge for the next day.  I never add flour to the mixer as the stretch and fold seems to make it so I can handle the dough.  I don't like the dough to be too dry because I find it difficult to get a dry dough thin without tearing it.  Another thought, how hydrated is your starter.  Mine is a heaping cup of flour to a cup of water, I know not scientific.  I find this starter needs less attention and can be ignore in the fridge 7 to 10 days.

Gerhard

P.S. here is a link to Arva Flour Mill  http://www.arvaflourmill.com
  • burntbrisket
    Options

Thanks for the reply.  I've been using King Arthur flour and I'm not sure where that falls on the hardness scale.  Maybe my starter is a bit more hydrated, but I was still surprised at the amount of extra flour I had to add.  I'll have to check my starter compared to your reference.

Great website, also!

• CigarSmokinEgger
    Options

My standard recipe using a starter is 70% hydration, 2.5% salt and 8% starter.  Pizzamaking.com has a great tool that will give you weight measurements based on the amount of dough you want to make.  I usually make 2 310g balls and for that it would be 335g flour, 227g water, 9g salt and 50g starter.  After the autolyse, I add the starter and salt then place in a clear tall container.  Every 30 minutes I do 3-4 folds ala Tartine until my hands come clear of dough, usually 3-4 hours.  I then make up the 2 balls and place in lightly oiled glass containers, then into the fridge for 3-4 days.  Bring up to room temp and cook off as desired :)

Mark

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited February 2013
    Options
    google ischia or camaldoli.   There is good info out there and imho those are great places to start a good culture from
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.