Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib help!!

Everything I make ribs seem dry in the end. I smoke 3 hours wrap for 1 1/2 then wrap and glaze maybe an hour can someone tell how to keep them more moist. Also I cook at 230

Comments

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Do you use a water pan?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • chad408
    chad408 Posts: 140
    Alton said:

Do you use a water pan?

No waterpan

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    What kind of ribs? Baby backs? Pork spares?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Do you open the Egg a lot?
  • Had this issue after switching from my vertical wet box smoker to my LGE. Use a pan under them with some sort of liquid in it. I prefer apple juice and apple cider vinegar (about 75/25) and I  also use a spray bottle (bought new in the cleaning section of local store and labeled for smoker use only) to spray the ribs with apple cider vinegar, water, and EV olive oil. After the first 45-60 mins I open long enough to spray a mist of the ribs and close it right back. This works great in you are going to finish them on the grill with sauce. if you want them dry rubbed only do this a few times. I dont do it the last 90-100 mins if i plan on reheating them and adding sauce later.

Oh and the spray is 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup water and 2 table spoons of EVOO. pour in spray bottle and shake the hell out of it to mix it all up.

Good Luck...

• abice
    abice Posts: 1
    First raise the temp to 275 degrees, cook for three hours then remove and
    Put them into a covered pan with 2-3 cups of apple juice and cook for 2 hours.Remove and glaze and return to the covered dish minus the apple juice for one more hour. After applying the glaze and returning to the smoker make sure to close the dampers and allow it to cool down for the final hour.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited February 2013
    I did this Sat. Turbo Ribs: 350 for 105 mins and don't open the lid. You pull the membrane off rub, (i add mustard / not a must) then rub once more. Indirect, raised up ((no water pan)) and used some cherry and some pecan wood chips. No problem with dry....Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Mickey, I just ate and you're making my stomach growl. Those look fantastic!
  • Mickey
    Sola how is tricks my friend. They are sooooo simple. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 230 is a pretty low temp. I do ribs baby backs at 300-350 grate temp, indirect....never turn out dry.
  • chad408
    I am doing cookoff the 16 and I want to get my ribs down we are cooking spares for the cook off. If y'all think 230 is to low what temp does everyone cook there ribs and what methods do y'all use
  • chad408
    Alittle help please
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I usually do 300-325 grate and start checking at 2 hours. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Dry almost always means undercooked. Did the ribs past the bend test. No matter what kind of ribs, or cooking temperature/time, the ribs are not done until they begin to fold and tear under their own weight.

As others have said, go w. a higher dome temp. I've yet to settle on "turbo" temps, and still cook in the 250 -275F dome temp range (call it tortoise method?). For spares, I assume a minimum of 5 hours, usually more like 6. No foiling, nothing except maybe a light brushing w. oil around hour 4, and a little more rub on that.

I do up the temp to 300 if I'm running late, and then I brush on a little plain water.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited February 2013
    chad408 said:
    Alittle help please
    Chad, chill out. People will continue to chime in, but being pushy will only turn us away.

With that said, your ribs were undercooked. I never need to use a water pan or any liquid to make my ribs juicy.

All I do, is peel the membrane off, sometimes rub with yellow mustard, then rub and then on to the grill. I like my ribs at 225 grid and smoke for about 2 hours. After that, I will remove them from the grill, wrap them and place back in the grill at the same temp for another 1.5-2 hours. Then remove foil and place back on the grill for the final hour or so. In the last half hour I will start to baste with sauce if that is the way I am serving them and every 15mins till done. When they are pulling away from the bone nicely it's time to grab your tongs and lift from the middle. You want the whole rack to lift up and not break, but have a nice bend to it. You should be able to take a bite out of the rib without all the meat pulling from the bone. If they literally fall off the bone when you try to lift off the rack, they are overdone, but still ohh so good!

Sometimes I do add apple juice and apple cider vinegar, but you really do not need it in the egg. If you insist on a liquid, when you wrap the ribs, add some honey and or brown sugar with some apple juice in each pack, wrap seal and back to the grill. Depends on the flavor profile you are trying to achieve.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• sola
    sola Posts: 118
    Mickey said:

Sola how is tricks my friend. They are sooooo simple. 

Jut trying to cook ribs like you my man....
  • chad408
    gdenby said:
    Dry almost always means undercooked. Did the ribs past the bend test. No matter what kind of ribs, or cooking temperature/time, the ribs are not done until they begin to fold and tear under their own weight.

As others have said, go w. a higher dome temp. I've yet to settle on "turbo" temps, and still cook in the 250 -275F dome temp range (call it tortoise method?). For spares, I assume a minimum of 5 hours, usually more like 6. No foiling, nothing except maybe a light brushing w. oil around hour 4, and a little more rub on that.

I do up the temp to 300 if I'm running late, and then I brush on a little plain water.

I am pretty sure they are not undercooked. They are cooked for about 5 hours and have a great bend in them when i pull them off the grill. They also are almost fall off the bone. I was think over cooked if anything. Like I said just really have to find the happy meadian for this cook off on feb 16. I think that I might try and back off on the time some. I am going to be cooking ribs atleast 2 more times before the cookoff hope i find something that works.
  • well....I had a nice reply typed out....but it has to be approved!.....I will not waste my time doing it again! Sorry.....but this sucks!
  • chad408
    edited February 2013
    AleBrewer said:
    well....I had a nice reply typed out....but it has to be approved!.....I will not waste my time doing it again! Sorry.....but this sucks!

What is the approved thing i have not had that problem yet?

Also i have another question. What sauce does everyone use to glaze there ribs in order to finish them.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    AleBrewer said:
    well....I had a nice reply typed out....but it has to be approved!.....I will not waste my time doing it again! Sorry.....but this sucks!
    I've started to cntrl-a, cntrl-c (highlight all, copy) before hitting the post button, if I've written a long diatribe.  Then if I get that stupid message, I can paste it, edit out what I think they thought was offensive and try again.
    I've started to cntrl-a, cntrl-c (highlight all, copy) before hitting the post button, if I've written a long diatribe.  Then if I get that stupid message, I can paste it, edit out what I think they thought was offensive and try again.
    great idea...thanks.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited February 2013
    chad408 said:
    AleBrewer said:

What is the approved thing i have not had that problem yet?

Also i have another question. What sauce does everyone use to glaze there ribs in order to finish them.

It's a pain in the ass message some people keep getting. "your message will be posted after approval" or some garbage like that.

I don't foil ribs ever, and I very rarely sauce them. I serve the sauce on the side. I like the meat and the rub to stand to provide the flavor. If you are getting dry ribs....then a sauce may help.
    Every now and then, I will but a light coating of bone sucking sauce on the ribs.....when I get a wild hair and have a hankering for sweeter ribs.
  • Dry sounds like over cooked. Are you sure your thermometer is correct?
    Chester County, PA
  • chad408

MattyMc said:
    Dry sounds like over cooked. Are you sure your thermometer is correct?
    I am using a party que that i just got in and I have not calibrated it, but would hope the be correct since i just got it. Also the dome themometer seems to read close to what the party q says.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    chad408 said:
    gdenby said:
    Dry almost always means undercooked. Did the ribs past the bend test. No matter what kind of ribs, or cooking temperature/time, the ribs are not done until they begin to fold and tear under their own weight.  (...etc...)

I am pretty sure they are not undercooked. They are cooked for about 5 hours and have a great bend in them when i pull them off the grill. They also are almost fall off the bone. I was think over cooked if anything. Like I said just really have to find the happy meadian for this cook off on feb 16. I think that I might try and back off on the time some. I am going to be cooking ribs atleast 2 more times before the cookoff hope i find something that works.
    Here's some speculation. If meat is overcooked, even in water as in a slow cooker (the ones I've owned top out at 212), it will feel dry and mushy in the mouth. Looking at your original post, I see you do not say if you add liquid when the ribs are foiled. If you are not, I suspect there is a very good chance that when the ribs are in their foil jacket, they are getting quite hot, most of the water is coming out of the muscle, and the last period just dries tissue that can no longer hold moisture. As you said, overcooked if anything.

Here's a suggestion. Don't use mustard as a base, use neutral flavored oil, and do not foil. Add more oil towards the end. It seems to me that the oil helps hold moisture in the meat, while helping the outside get crisp.

Good luck on your cook off. Relax. Have fun.
  • Mickey
    Not ever entered a rib cook off but lots of people do not like sauce. Why put it on?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Best ribs I ever cooked I rubbed with Mickey's coffee rub, threw them in a sous vide bag, cooked them 48 hours at 145F, then added more rub, threw them on direct for 15-20 minutes at 400 with a handful of apple wood.  Super moist.  Threw them in the mix at thanksgiving and at least two people said they were buying sous vide equipment afterwards.
    :@)