Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

A question for the Wing Kings out there...

How much corn starch do you add to your rub to crisp up the skin when doing wings indirect? Equal parts? Half? Just a little? Thanks!
"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
·

Comments

• pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,890
    I never use it. Maybe I'll try next time. If I was going to try ot I would apply my rub and let them sit an hour then dust with starch and cook.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,424
    Maybe 2:1 rub to cornstarch.
    ·
  • Just did this for the first time. Did ~3:1 rub to baking powder (same idea as cornstarch, just the one I had handy...)

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
    ·
  • 3:1
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,611
    0:1
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    Did 2:1 today probably won't do it again wasn't that impresses with the results
    ·
    I don't know if I used to much or what but I measured it out 2:1. Misted with oil on the dry spots. They were great right out of the cooker but we held them and sauced them and it kinda put a chalky coating in your mouth.
    ·
    Like the saucing rewetted the cornstarch. Maybe I will try 3:1 next time.
    ·
  • Thanks, all. Went with 3 to 1. Just so-so results. I think I'll stick to whole chicken pieces in the future. It's sad to say, but I think wings are missing something when not fried. (The pork butt was phenomenal, however...)
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
    ·
  • solasola Posts: 118
    I use the wife's sifter. Very light coating. Rub then starch. I like for them to sit for an hour or so before I put them on.
    ·