Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mustard, for the record....

Is really pretty pointless to apply to briskets or butts to get the rub to hold. I've never had any trouble simply applying the rub directly. That is all
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments

• KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    I believe most will say it also acts as a tenderizer
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I think what you say is true and what KingtUT says is true. My feeling is: can't hurt.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i think you can get heavier bark with it beacause you can pretty much get 2 to 3 times more rub to stick. put rub on the meat, put rub in the mustard and then apply, recoat with more rub.
    :Di should sell rub with those directions
    :))for what its worth i dont do all that with brisket, but i do with pork butt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have done both without noticing any difference. I can see why it allows you to get a thicker coating as our poor fisherman above noted. I typically apply 3 coatings of rub at 24 hours, 2 hours and cook time. This allows the rub to hydrated and become tacky, which allows more rub to be adhere. Yum Yum.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911

I have done both without noticing any difference. I can see why it allows you to get a thicker coating as our poor fisherman above noted. I typically apply 3 coatings of rub at 24 hours, 2 hours and cook time. This allows the rub to hydrated and become tacky, which allows more rub to be adhere. Yum Yum.
    This is my method without mustard (sometimes just day before and when it comes out of the fridge) 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I use mustard because I always have, but have done a butt or two without it. The taste to me was not really different, but getting the rub to stick was much easier with the mustard. I also graze through the fridge looking for old mustards, samplers or some of those designer flavours we didn't care for too much and use them up. The last butt had chardonnay Dijon, chipotle and key lime on it - actually smelled pretty good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    One thing I learned from Cen-Tex is use as much rub as possible...however you do it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN