Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cleaning The Outside of the Egg

I just used a small amount of acetone on a paper towel on the rain cap, and it shined up like new.  Worked a heck of a lot better than Mean Green.  Is there any reason I can't shine the whole Egg up with Acetone?  Or is that harmful to the paint/coating?  Anyone know?  Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered before.
2014 Co-Wing King
·

Comments

• Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,244
    Ehh... I'm not going to chance it. I just used soap, water and a sponge and the dome shined up like new. The tough stuff on the rain cap came off great with the nail polish remover though. Please disregard my ramblings people... :)
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,775
    Yeah usually just use soap and a sponge. Seems to the trick
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,253
    i used acetone to clean the old gasket area during a change.  your evaporation rate should be high enough to not do any harm.  me i like the outdoor patina  :D
    ·
    What is this thing you refer to as "snow"?? Never heard of it. ;)
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
    Dang, that sure is pretty, but it looks cold too. :) Around here, I have only had snow that stuck a handful of times in my lifetime. Snow storm of '89 (I think that was the year anyway...coulda been sooner) and the snow we had a couple years ago being the most memorable. :) Here is a pic from my backyard from a couple years ago... We had fun. :)

image.jpg 97.1K
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
    Actually, it was January 1988.... Just looked it up. I was 6 years old. ;)
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
    No thanks to the blizzard. But thank you for indicating that I am young. ;) I have been having joint pains all day today, so it's nice to hear that there are others out there more decrepit than I. LOL
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,426
    Dyal_SC said:
    I just used a small amount of acetone on a paper towel on the rain cap, and it shined up like new.  Worked a heck of a lot better than Mean Green.  Is there any reason I can't shine the whole Egg up with Acetone?  Or is that harmful to the paint/coating?  Anyone know?  Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered before.
    @Dyal_SC
    I have a good deal experience with industrial hygene and chemistry - cleaning the outside of the egg off with acetone is fine.  Acetone is not corrosive to the glaze, and the glaze is vitreous - the acetone will not penetrate into the egg enough to make a rat's ass of difference insofar as cooking on it.  Don't use it on the inside, and be careful with acetone - it's extremely flammable.

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,775
    Dyal_SC said:

Dyal, I was born in 82 too.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    Chubbs said:

Dyal_SC said:

Dyal, I was born in 82 too.
    I was born in 81, but you ain't far behind. Lemme know if you need to borrow some Geritol or adult diapers. ;)

2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,819
    By being born in 81 and 82 that makes you a youngster on this board lol.
    ·
  • Graduated from High School in 82 ! I'm getting old !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
    ·
  • Max232Max232 Posts: 76
    70 model myself, lol. I will for sure be needing some geritol, hopefully not the diapers :D

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,536
    '65, first full year of the Mustang.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337

last time i cleaned my egg i lit it let it get to 600ish then when all the goo was oozing out i got the garden hose and sprayed the egg came off easy as you please

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • BYS1981 said:
    By being born in 81 and 82 that makes you a youngster on this board lol.

my parents hadn't even met yet in '82 ha.
    Boom
    ·