Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Oh boy! A chip

Discovered a chip on my egg. I don't think I could have hit it with anything. Unlike many of you, I egg in a very small space. The chip is on the side next to a small table my husband built for me, so I really don't have good access to that area. Regardless, I don't use anything heavy except a CI grill, and my setup requires me to take it on and off from the other side. Do you think this is covered by the warranty? Will it compromise the structure? 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
·

Comments

• From what I understand warranty will not cover chips. I wouldn't think that a small chip like that would cause a problem concerning the performance of the grill. 

I wouldn't like looking at it, but I think you will be ok!
    Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
    ·
  • I don't think its big enough to cause a problem. I think they have a repair kit for touchups but I'm not sure. Check with your dealer or I'm sure someone else will respond with an alternative!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 848
    Thanks, guys. I should have checked the warranty first. No, it doesn't cover chips, and supposedly dealers handle "touch-up paint." Anyone know if the paint is special in some way?
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,300
    I think the touch-up paint would act as a sealant, but definitely a cosmetic touch-up.. I doubt the chip would cause any issues unless a crack is involved(expansion/contraction)
    ·
  • Hunter Green from HD. You can buy a sample size jar for like $2.

Chester County, PA
    ·
  • MattyMc said:

Hunter Green from HD. You can buy a sample size jar for like $2.

Heard this before, cosmetic fix and you will be good to go. Seems the bigger mystery is how did it happen?

Good luck on both accounts....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,433
    I'd seal it to prevent it from possibly getting larger...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·