Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Deep Dish Homerun!

For the Super Bowl, I decided that I'd christen the cast iron skillet I got for Christmas, and try @Zippylip 's deep dish recipe.  It's always a little nerve-wracking trying something completely new.  The pressure was on, too, since I'd been hyping it up all week.  It wasn't a mistake free cook, but the final product was incredible.  

I made 3/4 of the pie with just mushrooms, and the rest with pepperoni, and sweet Italian sausage.  I put a layer of cheese directly on the dough, then the toppings, then the sauce, then another layer of mozzarella.  In order to make my pizza look like the pictures I'd seen online, I went through almost two full 8 oz bags of mozzarella.  It seemed like a lot, but the overflowing cheese is key.  When it melts against the cast iron, it makes it crusty and crunchy and perfect.  

Now for the mistakes.  The recipe I followed is for a 10.5 inch skillet, which is what I thought I had.  Apparently mine is a 12" skillet.  I know I wasn't supposed to mess with the dough once it was in the skillet, but I was afraid it wouldn't be enough.  I lightly worked it towards the edges, and then started putting toppings on.  It ended up not being that big of an issue. 

I put it on at about 450, with the PS legs down, and several balls of foil for spacers.  I pulled it off right at 35 minutes.  The cheese was just starting to brown around the edges.  The plan was to transfer it to a cookie grid and let it cool down for a few minutes.  I must not have oiled down the pan well enough, because it didn't break too cleanly.  The pre-transfer picture is definitely prettier than the post-transfer.  No matter though, because it was delicious! 

We went to Chicago last summer, and I thought this was better than anything I got downtown.  Way, way better.  I remember Chicago deep dish being heavy, and dry and thick.  This was light, and chewy and buttery.  The bottom of the crust was a crunchy and crispy, golden brown.  Paired with the burnt cheese melted on the skillet, this was crazy good.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments