Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Do you soak your wood chips?

Do you soak your wood chips before you grill with them and if so for how long?
·

Comments

• gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 817
    No. Gerhard
    ·
  • Never. It is absolutely not necessary.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
    ·
  • Nope....as the others guys already said, its not needed, and just wastes time.
    ·
  • hornhonkhornhonk Posts: 3,840
    No, nae, never!
    ·
  • No! Soaking chips or chunks delutes the woods flavor. This is apparent by the coloration of the water.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 432
    Nope
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
  • No, don't need the steam
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    Not at all.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Nope. I use pellets, but never did with chips or chunks either.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    Used to then I took the advise from the forum and stopped will not go back...
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
  • No. See a pattern :-?

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • Nope. I use pellets, but never did with chips or chunks either.
    How do you use pellets? Throw them on the lump?
    Mix them up with the lump before lighting. Then if I open the lid for any reason I throw a handful in.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
    ·
  • Mix, stirred not shaken - just the opposite of 007's Martini.... and never soaked. 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • J_QueJ_Que Posts: 203
    Never.
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me.
    ·
  • Never
    ·
  • RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Based on the number of responses and the enthusiasm I am sure I am setting myself up it here it goes.... I soak my chips for half how to an hour before throwing them on because I was under the impression that the chips burn more slowly when soaked.....
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
    ·
  • Common misconception
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Wet wood will give you steam until dry, then smoke. No need to soak.
    edited February 2013
    I know I don't but does anyone have any scientific basis for confirming or denying this?
    ·
  • I'm also in the no soak camp.  @RLeeper Your reluctance to take the advice of forum members at face value because it conflicts with your method (unless somebody can produce scientific confirmation) is silly.  When twenty people tell you it's raining, you don't need to confirm it.  Look for an umbrella instead.    

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
    It's not about my method and I'm not saying I don't take the advice of forum members. I simply asked a question about scientific basis versus opinion. My entire life is science as well as my career. No need for attacking because I posed a question @Fred19Flinstone.
    ·
  • Yes @RLeeper there is scientific evidence. That is why no one does it. I'll find it real quick. Hold on.

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,032
    edited February 2013
    @RLeeper
    It is a good point that everyone said no, but here is your science. There is more out there. Man, where's stike when you need him.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_soaking_wood.html
    Tjcoley said:

Wet wood will give you steam until dry, then smoke. No need to soak.

Actually, water does not penetrate wood very much anyway.

These are truths.

·
  • I use chunk, not chips, but i always soak them first, ALWAYS..
    ·
  • I use chunk, not chips, but i always soak them first, ALWAYS..

Sarcasm?? Not sure. I use chunks as well sir. Uh oh. We've started another debate. Chunks or chips¿¿ is the world flat?

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,169
    edited February 2013
    I don't know if it's sarcasm. I posted a video in another thread to him showing how soaking is ALWAYS pointless as it only soaks in a couple millimeters.
    ·
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 817
    edited February 2013
    If it makes you happy to soak your wood I applaud you but I haven't done it for a year and get as good or better smoke flavor than I got when I did soak.
    ·
  • RLeeper said:

It's not about my method and I'm not saying I don't take the advice of forum members. I simply asked a question about scientific basis versus opinion. My entire life is science as well as my career. No need for attacking because I posed a question @Fred19Flinstone.

Saying you are being silly is attacking? Are we so wussified that its come to that?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • Soaking is a required step in a smoker box when using the far from restricted air flow of a gas grill or Weber Kettle vs the more moisture retaining interior of a kamado, like the BGE. 

I always soaked in my gasser to keep all of the chips/chunks from going off at once, I'd mix some overnight soakers with some dry fresh out of the bag. 

Fact is in the BGE, soaking is not needed, but if you like to do it, do it. Steaming is good and is a recognized method of cooking. Much like adding liquid to a drip pan, soaking is just not needed. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • bodskibodski Posts: 354
    I did for years, until I heard that its unnecessary on this forum. I was skeptical at first to go dry, but now I do nearly all the time. Occasionally, on a longer cook, I'll soak a small portion to delay their smoking.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Gasser

·