Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restaurant ribs.

Swmbo and I went out for a date night and decided to go to a very popular steakhouse. Since I have been egging I haven't been a fan of restaurant food but I always enjoy a steak from this place. Had my mind set on a house special ribeye until I let the waiter talk me out of it and into the ribs. According to him the ribs were the best thing on the menu and his favorite go to item whenever he eats there. I proceeded to order a full rack of baby back ribs with sauce on the side. When the ribs arrived the presentation left a lot to be desired but I thought they may still have good flavor. Long story short those ribs were just better than awful..membrane still on, tender but no flavor at all, had to bathe in the sauce just to get them down. When the waiter asked how the meal was I simply told him "not better than my ribs on the BGE." The disgust on his face was priceless! Anyone else have similar experiences?
Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA

Comments

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Man I guess I am the only one!
  • crunk
    crunk Posts: 94
    I don't think I have ordered Ribs at a restauarant since I got my Egg and thats exactly why.....I know i will be disapointed so i just spare myself the trouble and the $25.....
  • RLeeper
    I think I'm going to be the same way. Probably the reason why you are the first to comment. Most probably think I'm an idiot for ordering them in the first place!
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Okay, I'll go out on a limb here: if I eat BBQ out, I usually get either brisket (I can't seem to get close to the results of something like Rudy's/etc), or ribs, and for ribs it is for the variety of the different styles of preparing ribs in different regions around the country. And I've had some good experiences recently, including of all places at Texas Roadhouse in Colorado.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • RLeeper
    Cool. Maybe part of my mistake is obvious...I went to a steakhouse and got ribs....
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I always go out with people where they will order the ribs and they are in love. Meanwhile I am looking at these probably boiled then gas grilled things covered in some sauce and I just can't seem to find appetizing
  • RLeeper
    Exactly!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Its not just that you bought ribs at a steakhouse. Unfortunately, most people, probably like your server, think good ribs are mush on a bone, drowned in sweet sauce. Lots of restaurants will happily serve those.

And even dedicated BBQ's often have trouble keeping the quality up if there are lots of customers. So, I will give every place that serves 'Q a chance, but I really don't expect to be blown away. I am always tremendously delighted when I find a place that is really good. Hard to make decent ribs when cooking 1000 pounds a day.

The amount of care and finesse the average Egger can use to make ribs is just not something most commercial places can match.
  • I try to stick with what the restaurant does well. Steaks at a steakhouse, BBQ at a BBQ joint, breakfast at a breakfast place, etc. 
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • RLeeper
    edited February 2013
    All of these comments put things in perspective...especially the comment about time and finesse.
  • I am spoiled as well. I can't order anything I could do better on the Egg. So I stick to pasta dishes or other complex preparations I wouldn't do on the egg.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I never order bbq pork out...rather have mine. Rudy's does have good brisket and cream corn... I travel so I hate eating out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I never order ribs or steak when eating out.  Just not going to be like the ones I fix for myself.
  • Last time I ordered ribs in a restaurant (10 years ago) They were terrible. oven cooked and covered in liquid smoke. If I want ribs, I cook ribs
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    I've passed on all BBQ at Restaurants since I purchased my egg. The only exception to the rule is if I find a BBQ shack on the side of the road that's only open 3 days a week.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The only restaurant BBQ I ever get is Bessinger's in Charleston,SC. I have been eating that since I was a bun in my mom's oven while she did her residency at MUSC.

Now, I will try food trucks here in Baltimore that serve it, since they are much closer to what I do than any restaurant. I like one called Kommie Pig(Owner is from Moscow) and he cooks great BBQ over cherry smoke on an electric smoker. His Spicy Pulled Chicken is melt-my-face awesome. I have a restaurant close to home that I have given a try and had a good meal once or twice. Brisket sucks, ribs were dried out... They have something called Arkansas Beef BBQ which seems like heavily sauced burnt ends. They are usually okay. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I don't order ribs in a restaurant since getting the egg, Brisket is another story though. As far as steaks go it has to be a 4 or 5 star like Gibsons, Manny's, Flemings etc. My egg put me off the Longhorns and Outback steaks long ago. Just my 2 cents.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The Egg has really turned me off from anything below "anniversary/birthday" level steak houses. Capital Grille in DC, Jordan's in Ellicott City, MD, and Ray's the Steaks in Arlington, VA.
  • Yes!  I used to visit my favorite BBQ places to see how I stacked up to the "pros".  Now, I see how good a restaurant is compared to ME and my BGE!  I still like to be served and have someone else do the clean-up once in a while, but my ribs, steaks, pulled pork and brisket blow away any restaurants around.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Just posted a comment agreeing - but got my first "your message needs to be approved" thing.  Ugh.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
  • Yes!  I used to visit my favorite BBQ places to see how I stacked up to the "pros".  Now, I see how good a restaurant is compared to ME and my BGE!  I still like to be served and have someone else do the clean-up once in a while, but my ribs, steaks, pulled pork and brisket blow away any restaurants around.
  • Just posted a comment agreeing - but got my first "your message needs to be approved" thing.  Ugh.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

The only restaurant BBQ I ever get is Bessinger's in Charleston,SC. I have been eating that since I was a bun in my mom's oven while she did her residency at MUSC.

Now, I will try food trucks here in Baltimore that serve it, since they are much closer to what I do than any restaurant. I like one called Kommie Pig(Owner is from Moscow) and he cooks great BBQ over cherry smoke on an electric smoker. His Spicy Pulled Chicken is melt-my-face awesome. I have a restaurant close to home that I have given a try and had a good meal once or twice. Brisket sucks, ribs were dried out... They have something called Arkansas Beef BBQ which seems like heavily sauced burnt ends. They are usually okay. 

Drove right by Bessingers on Saturday. Almost stopped but SWMBO wasn't having que when her mind was on Taco Boy.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    First of all, we don't have much BBQ down here (lots of great restaurants though).  So not much chance I'll ever order it. 

Second, I try to order stuff that's new to me or really difficult to prepare.  I rarely ever order a steak out, unless it's something special, like dry aged with foie gras and paired with some nice sides.
    My first rule for a restaurant (even before BGE)-"I won't order anything in a restaurant that I can make at home."  So, I'm in the same camp as nola-definitely cuts the menu choices way down and you can find some great selections-to each his/her own!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.