Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cleaning The Outside of the Egg

I just used a small amount of acetone on a paper towel on the rain cap, and it shined up like new.  Worked a heck of a lot better than Mean Green.  Is there any reason I can't shine the whole Egg up with Acetone?  Or is that harmful to the paint/coating?  Anyone know?  Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered before.
·

Comments

• Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,588
    Ehh... I'm not going to chance it. I just used soap, water and a sponge and the dome shined up like new. The tough stuff on the rain cap came off great with the nail polish remover though. Please disregard my ramblings people... :)
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,457
    Yeah usually just use soap and a sponge. Seems to the trick
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    i used acetone to clean the old gasket area during a change.  your evaporation rate should be high enough to not do any harm.  me i like the outdoor patina  :D
    ·
    What is this thing you refer to as "snow"?? Never heard of it. ;)
    ·
    Dang, that sure is pretty, but it looks cold too. :) Around here, I have only had snow that stuck a handful of times in my lifetime. Snow storm of '89 (I think that was the year anyway...coulda been sooner) and the snow we had a couple years ago being the most memorable. :) Here is a pic from my backyard from a couple years ago... We had fun. :)

image.jpg 97.1K
    ·
    Actually, it was January 1988.... Just looked it up. I was 6 years old. ;)
    ·
    No thanks to the blizzard. But thank you for indicating that I am young. ;) I have been having joint pains all day today, so it's nice to hear that there are others out there more decrepit than I. LOL
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,948
    Dyal_SC said:
    I just used a small amount of acetone on a paper towel on the rain cap, and it shined up like new.  Worked a heck of a lot better than Mean Green.  Is there any reason I can't shine the whole Egg up with Acetone?  Or is that harmful to the paint/coating?  Anyone know?  Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been covered before.
    @Dyal_SC
    I have a good deal experience with industrial hygene and chemistry - cleaning the outside of the egg off with acetone is fine.  Acetone is not corrosive to the glaze, and the glaze is vitreous - the acetone will not penetrate into the egg enough to make a rat's ass of difference insofar as cooking on it.  Don't use it on the inside, and be careful with acetone - it's extremely flammable.

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,457
    Dyal_SC said:

Dyal, I was born in 82 too.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
    Chubbs said:

Dyal_SC said:

Dyal, I was born in 82 too.
    I was born in 81, but you ain't far behind. Lemme know if you need to borrow some Geritol or adult diapers. ;)

·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,058
    By being born in 81 and 82 that makes you a youngster on this board lol.
    ·
  • Graduated from High School in 82 ! I'm getting old !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
    ·
  • Max232Max232 Posts: 76
    70 model myself, lol. I will for sure be needing some geritol, hopefully not the diapers :D

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,718
    '65, first full year of the Mustang.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337

last time i cleaned my egg i lit it let it get to 600ish then when all the goo was oozing out i got the garden hose and sprayed the egg came off easy as you please

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • BYS1981 said:
    By being born in 81 and 82 that makes you a youngster on this board lol.

my parents hadn't even met yet in '82 ha.
    Boom
    ·